I was promised endorphins

@romans5to8 I have always found a good spin class to be the most reliable route to endorphins because it's music and vibe along with the high-intensity exercise that gets me there.

@romans5to8 A genuine question to everyone advising more sleep, as an early 40s woman who works full time and has 3 kids who all do extra curricular activities, how on earth are we supposed to work out without eating into our optimal sleep range? I am up at 4.40am just to fit gym in. If it doesn’t happen then, it would be 8.30 pm and I’m definitely not doing that.

@pinkelephant44 I'm in same boat. It's a season of life. I am doing short but intense at home workouts (I use a program called street parking) so I can sleep too. I don't see the point of sacrificing sleep for working out because I can't function without sleep and if I tried to wake up super early to workout it wouldn't be good for me or my family.

@romans5to8 Only time I get the rush of happy hormones is after running or a very brisk walk. Weights and body weight exercise has never done it for me. I need the high heart rate to give me the 'high'. Also I sleep at least 7-8hrs a night, anything less and I'm a miserable grump the whole day (38F)

@romans5to8 I would suggest more sleep and look at the number of calories you’re eating. A difference of 100 calories makes a huge difference in my energy levels. Personally, I would aim for more protein, but I don’t know that that would affect your energy level. I’m one of those people that saw a huge difference in mood/hormones.

@romans5to8 i have litterally never gotten this, frankly im annoyed that people keep "selling" exersise using this rhetoric, its fine to say "some people feel good after working out", but so many people say "you will feel good after working out" like its universal, and its obviously not.

@louisbailey Yeah, same and there's been plenty of other threads where people have definitely done things right (ran marathons, worked out for years etc) and never had a feel good response. I don't know why people keep acting like it's a universal effect when there hasn't been any research showing how common it is. It sets people up for disappointment.

@louisbailey This so much. Not everyone's body does the same thing. Only high I feel is the progression I make when I get to lift more. Other than that some take me home on a stretcher.

@romans5to8 I’ve been doing the same for around 5 months and only recently started to have a post workouts high. I’m 38f. Sometimes i walk for a cardio, but then i get a good song and the rush to run overwhelms me and i just run… i sleep more than you, though, it’s really important. I drink that new (for me) mineral water every day and it makes me sleep like a baby. And also i’m a bloodwork freak, i have to have all the parameters in check, all the vitamins and such. I’ve gained a lot of muscle mass in the past 5 months. I contribute it to the work on my health i’ve done before i started the exercise.

@romans5to8 How often do you lift?
How many calories do you eat?
Do you track your micro nutrients (vitamins and minerals)?

You won't get the same endorphin rush from weightlifting generally. You can add some conditioning at the end (higher intensity stuff) or a bit of cardio during the week to help that.

And as someone said, you might need more sleep. Women need more sleep than men, and many of us chronically undersleep.

You might also consider seeing your doctor for your tiredness to rule out some other underlying cause.

@romans5to8 If your gym has a sauna try to work your way up to 20-30 minutes after working out. I don’t know what it is, but I feel very clear headed and light afterwards! I love it