I was promised endorphins

@romans5to8 I only really get the endorphin rush during/after HIIT type workouts….sprints on the bike, running sprints, burpees or similar floor cardio. I get it after/during the comedown when something has left me feeling super breathless - can feel my heart pumping. Weightlifting alone does not give me that feeling after, though I do generally feel good after a weightlifting session it’s not the same.

@romans5to8 For whatever reason, while I do feel good and accomplished after a weight lifting session, only running gives me the after workout happy feeling. Runner's high is a god damn addicting drug. I wish weights gave me the same reward, but alas...

35F who used to get an endorphin rush after 5 minutes of walking, now I need to work for it. Might be lifestyle, might be age, I'm not sure what caused the change.

@eichblatt
35F who used to get an endorphin rush after 5 minutes of walking, now I need to work for it. Might be lifestyle, might be age, I'm not sure what caused the change.

You might be getting fitter, your heart straining less to do the same exercise. I notice that for me, what gives the endorphins is my heart in heart rate zone 4 for a bit. But if you get used to some kind of exercise, your heart will not reach the same zone as when you are less fit. I do not run, and I did almost no cardio during the pandemic, and then changed gyms, and I noticed the changes as I got fitter, I could reliably get to zone 4 with a natural rhythm with resistance 6 on that cross trainer, now I need a 9, I could get to zone 4 in the rowing machine but now I stay at zone 3 (its a cheap one, almost no difference in settings).

My resting heart rate also clearly came down...

@eichblatt Can you describe the “runner’s high” / “after workout happy feeling” in more detail, because I don’t think I’ve ever experienced whatever this feeling is. I’ve been actually “high”/intoxicated on legal and illegal substances, and I’ve never felt anything remotely like that from exercise.

@kpc1988 Runner's high tends to happen while running. All aches and worries vanish, it's just you and the sound of your shoes hitting the pavement and you feel like you can keep on running forever. The world is yours.

The after workout endorphins hit differently. Next to the sense of accomplishment, you get a rush of energy and mental clarity. I get my best work done right after a good running workout!

@romans5to8 Perimenopause likely. I went on BC to level out my hormones and will likely do HRT once my cycles stop. Hormone changes are killer for women in their 40s which disrupts sleep and energy levels (among other problems).

@romans5to8 42F. I only get endorphins rush from sprints

Also, at this age I don’t really do sprints.

I’ve found swimming and cycle classes to be sort of a good swap though

Either way, you’re doing the very things for your body and I’m proud of you!

Good luck :)

@romans5to8 When I started lifting I was in less good shape so lifting had a cardio element. Now that I am more advanced and worked on my cardio a lot it no longer does it. Only running for over 40min gets me there nowadays.

@romans5to8 Carbs get a bad rep, especially as women. But they are so important- it’s the flame fat melts by. Focus on getting healthy, whole carbs and your workouts will explode. Similar to Then_Bird, I’m on an aggressive cut and am performance based (opposed to bodybuilding) and I am eating minimum 210 carbs a day. My best advice for macros is to run multiple online calculators and average them out.

@romans5to8 1350 is crazy low, also for someone your height. No wonder you felt tired. What is your diet like? There is still a pretty big difference between a 1500 and 1900 calorie intake, are you actually nourishing your body well? You might want to aim for a more consistent diet.

@thewhitmanthatcan I’ve definitely been trending higher than that more recently. I’d say 70% of the time the quality of my diet is good-excellent. I have a big family and we don’t eat out—so 99% home cooked simple meals—most family meals are something like grilled chicken + roasted vegetables on the side. But the other 30% involve a weakness for cookies and/or disruptions in routine due to commitments with kids sports etc.

Certainly room for improvement.

@romans5to8 Cardio might help with some endorphins, but you're probably just not eating enough. I want to lose fat so I keep trying to stay in a calorie deficit, but it becomes really tough and I feel more tired and weak. I've still lost over thr past 3-4 months, but I have some times where I eat maintenance calories for a few days up to a week, and my energy and workouts get better.

@romans5to8 Also 46F. I'm pretty sure this is par for the course. I used to run marathons, now running more than 100 yards leaves me fatigued beyond measure (I spent 8 months doing C25K hoping it would change; it didn't). Now I only do things I enjoy - for me it's weight lifting, plus some fun stuff like paddleboarding - and skip anything that leaves me feeling worse than not exercising at all. If lifting isn't working for you, find something that does, but don't expect it to be the same as it was 20 years ago.