I was promised endorphins

@romans5to8 I’ve been running since 2020 and I’m starting to think the “runner’s high” is a big old lie people tell when they can’t explain why anyone would actually want to run lmao. I’ve yet to experience it!!

@servant1 I’ve actually experienced the runners high several times. It took a 90 min run after a one day break. It was a slow run actually but never the less.

@destind4greatness See, nobody ever explains that a runners high may only work if you’re running really fast! I’m a slow runner trying to run for distance - maybe that’s my mistake. Gotta tap into the primal instinct to outsprint a lion!

@servant1 Me too, four years in and the best I can do is feeling proud of myself. I have no idea what a high would be.

It does 100% clear me of stress, though!

@servant1 I was active duty military for 12 years, so running was part of the job. I never felt a “high” or a “rush” or anything else but tired from running.

@nickofmyra For me it’s the way my primal monkey brain is like “oh good, we’re outrunning the bear that is definitely chasing us, because we’re stressed, and if we’re stressed that must mean we’re being chased by a predator, so we should definitely run” and while I’m certainly not being chased by a bear, somehow the running DOES help lol

@romans5to8 perhaps you need to set goals? that's what makes lifting so great - hitting those PRs.

or maybe you need a change in exercise; try muay thai or martial arts....that will really give you a rush!

@romans5to8 I'm 35 and I've never had an endorphin rush from lifting. I only feel sleepy afterwards. It's hard and grindy work, especially the last week of a mesocycle before a deload.

Running, and biking give me HUGE, happy endorphin rushes. Which is a big reason why I've started SLOWLY doing sprints since I can only bike for 1/2 of the year and my endurance has tanked over this past winter.

But don't give up on your lifting! It's super important for women as we age and for me, personally, my body looks way better than it did when I was a cardio queen in my teens and twenties.

@romans5to8 44F

Perimenopausal. Hot flashes have stopped after beginning estrogen and progesterone creams. My metabolism seems about the same as ever. I tend to be very sensitive to androgens/manage PCOS symptoms so intermittent use of spironolactone.

Sleep hygiene: 8/10. Sleep hours: usually 8 +/- 1-2 hours for a period or dealing with divorce.

Food: 99% fresh and/or single ingredient food.

Stress level: duress for 2+ years and counting. “Duress” may be significantly under selling the situation.

No endorphins: walking, running, yoga

Endorphins: spin, lifting, Brazilian jiu jitsu

@workinprogress86 Hi! That is a fancy way of saying I mostly eat plants and non-processed foods. This is done on a budget and without transportation so walking access is critical.

~This is a mix of what I've tried and works for me + Huberman Lab Podcasts. Diet is a huge component of my overall health since being tortured so it is a priority.

Electrolytes: Kirkland Signature sea salt and Nu-Salt (potassium chloride). I start the day off with water containing them, and add more if I start feeling muscle cramps (perimenopausal changes).

Supplements: Super B complex, joint supplement, collagen, probiotic, magnesium at night, D3+K2*

Intermittent supplements/meds: Slow-Fe iron (anemic but not extreme so only as needed), NAC, prednisone (mold exposure/immune system flare), spironolactone

Breakfast: 1-5 servings of chia seeds in water.

Lunch: salad ~5 cups of kale, red cabbage, sliced Brussel sprout, garbanzo beans, tomato, avocado, hemp hearts, black olives (and their brine) + sea salt.

Dinner: flexible to whatever seems good after jiu jitsu, often a bowl of sprouted oats, almonds, pecans, fresh fruit.

Multi-ingredient/processed items: chocolate bar, Craisins.

Rare treats: smoked salmon or vegetarian kimchi.

Protein: I used to do 1g/1lb. I seem to be okay with low protein, at least for now. (I'm homeless so this doesn't even register as a problem. YMMV.)

*D3+K2 was free and is taken as a Hail Mary with no discernible benefit. IIRC a neuro-endocrinologist was on Huberman Lab saying supplementing D3 basically fixes D3, but doesn't alleviate the more significant associated health concerns.

@tobigat 43F perimenopausal. My sleep is a mess, I go to bed early, sleep poorly, wake up tired. Next step is a sleep study.

No endorphins from pilates, Brazilian ju jitsu, cross trainer/elliptical, treadmill, weight training, dancing.

Used to get that endorphin high after any activity.

I feel like perimenopause has heightened my sleep issues which has smashed everything else.

@pithinplethora Oof, I'm so sorry.

If your home is safe, no one is abusing you in any way or keeping you awake, no mold present, etc., then here's the toolkit that I use for sleep hygiene. Dr. Huberman's personal life and decisions aren't great, but sleep is more important than moral debates. https://www.hubermanlab.com/newsletter/toolkit-for-sleep

If you aren't supplementing hormones, it may be a good idea to discuss with your healthcare provider. FWIW, OBGYN was zero help to me so I bought creams off Amazon, which work well. I can feel relief/relaxation from progesterone in ~20 minutes. I don't feel anything with estrogen, but over about a week, there was a positive change in mood. I like the creams so I can dial in the dose vs. a systemic approach like a pill.

Note:

I used magnesium l-threonate for awhile. It does seem to work a bit better than the others but can be expensive. 2 options I've run across are magnesium glycinate (Costco ~$16?) or pumpkin seeds (high calorie but if you need a fat bomb for sleep anyway...). Hemp hearts are also great, but high calorie and generally a bad idea if someone works a government job because the US can't differentiate a super food from a federally prohibited drug.

@tobigat Thank you for the thoughtful advice.
I've gone through the basics as you've described.
Magnesium seems to offer a little help in getting to sleep but not staying asleep.
Getting HRT here in Australia is turning out to be incredibly difficult due to my age.
I'm hoping that once I complete the sleep study it will either highlight an apnea type issue or allow me to progress to the next level with my GP.