Is it possible to eat too much fruit? (Runner, lifter)

@jordan221 I've definitely experienced weeks where I feel like I've had too much fiber (loose stool) but that could've been from a number of factors. I was having A LOT of fruit at the time, but I feel like it varies, like all things, from person to person!

I'd imagine you'd have to have an equivalent of like, 50 bananas a day or something. The only things to keep in mind is your electrolyte balance, but you sound like an experienced fitness person so I'm sure you have those dialed in :)

@jordan221 As long as it's whole fruits and not blended/juices, I don't think there should be any problem at all. If blended, even when you're having all the fruit, some fruits' glycemic index sky rockets.

Edit: the change comes from breaking the insoluble fibers, basically, it's not magic or anything like that. Fewer fiber=faster processing in your gut. You won't die by blending them, but it does happen.

@jb1398 I mean it's not that you "shouldn't", but yeah bananas do have a higher glycemic index when blended lol. From what I've see is a hit or miss, I don't think you'll find a good chart showing which ones will raise or maintain the GI, but a good rule of thumb is to assume they all raise theirs.

One blended banana a day won't kill you though, my grandma is 87 and used to drink 2l of coke a day for years and years, so there's that. If you're really worried about GI for whatever reason, I would recommend to not blend any fruits at all. Personally, I don't care, I think I'd only care if I was diabetic or something like that.

@jordan221 It depends on you. I am prone to hypoglycemia and my blood sugar is more stable when I eat less carbs - including fruit - and more fat. I used to eat a lot of fruit but now I limit myself to one piece/serving a day.

If you’re worried about the glycemic index, pair it with something high fat (eg nuts or nut butter, coconut yogurt, chia pudding) and eat the fruit after you eat the fatty thing. Tropical fruit is especially high in sugar so I eat it less often.

I don’t know why everyone is saying don’t worry about GI. Even for healthy fit people, eating lower GI foods overall is healthier.

@murielfrancis I replied to another poster with this comment :)

PB fit/ PB2 every morning on a rice cake with banana or apple

Vega protein and greens in a smoothie

Soy curls in breakfast tacos w/ black beans or in a stir fry, or in a lavash bread wrap

For dessert - Tofu pudding (cocoa powder and stevia, almond milk and blend with firm tofu)

Other days I’ll have a No Cow bar, Barvecue or add TVP to my stir fry or to my soup!

@dawn16 Sure thing - PB fit/ PB2 every morning on a rice cake with banana or apple

Vega protein and greens in a smoothie

Soy curls in breakfast tacos or in a stir fry, or in a lavash bread wrap

For dessert - Tofu pudding (cocoa powder and stevia, almond milk and blend with firm tofu)

Other days I’ll have a No Cow bar, Barvecue or add TVP to my stir fry.

@jordan221 Not sure if you use protein powder but making a giant tropical fruit smoothie post run hits so damn hard, you get your fruit fix and protein all in one. For extra calories you can add a spoonful of nut butter or ground seeds.

Back