Is it true that if you are overweight you shouldn’t run?

newcityn8

I’m about 5’9 and I’m over 220 lbs. I’ve heard people saying that if you are this heavy, regardless of BMI, it’s going to hurt your knees if you do running. So I’ve been mostly doing long walks. Should I just ignore it and run?

@newcityn8 Please see a doctor first. My Dad ruined his knees and spent the last five years of his life hobbling from bed to chair to bed. Walking will probably be where you should start. But see a doctor first for the best advice. Wish my Dad had.

@trevorodhiambo It's individual based on genetics how tough your joints are. When running, you are putting up to 7-11 times your body weight in pressure on your knees, which makes significant difference between people who are normal weight, overweight, and obese and the impact of their running on their body for what their body is designed for.

This person is 5'9" and 220, he should be around 150ish. That's an extra 70lbs ×7 to 11 on his knees. An extra 490 to 770 lbs added to the normal running pressure of 1050 to 1650 lbs, which depending where on the scale the weight addition is can make his running pressure up to 2000+ lbs. This is why it is highly individual and usually better to be safe than spend a crap ton of money on future knee and other joint replacements

@godcrazy Finally someone that knows what they’re talking about instead of mindlessly recommending running to someone that’s morbidly obese

Imagine op twists his ankle or slips? All that extra pressure on low-bearing joints that aren’t meant to handle that weight.

@crushedman Especially because it would incredibly unusual for someone to run with good form right away. So not only would most people be running in a way that could hurt just about anyone, they’re doing it while carrying excessive weight, drastically exacerbating the issue.

@crushedman No lie here! I developed a bunion from poor running form, weak feet/hips/knees. Now I get to relearn how to properly walk/run and do feet exercises in the hopes of avoiding future foot surgery.

@newcityn8 Yes, you can get hurt running but you can get hurt doing anything. Running improves your cardiovascular health, your bone density, sugar control and endurance. You will feel better as your health improves. Your body adapts to the stresses you put it under.

I started running at about 280. Ease into it using run walk, maybe couch to 5k. It's ok to start with 5 minutes of walking and 30 seconds of running. Listen to your body and slowly progress to longer times running and longer distances. You'll know when to rest and you'll learn the difference between discomfort and injury. I've run several marathons now and I started in 2019. If i had listened to sedentary people who just knew I'd blow my knees out, I'd still be sitting on the couch.

And if you decide running isn't for you, there's swimming, biking, weight lifting, etc... The best exercise is the one you will do consistently. You can do this! I believe in you!

@ambc I like this answer. I'd say running at those stats isn't a good idea. How about bursts of fast walking? Regular walking at a steady pace is best then do a fast walk to the next mailbox then back to the steady walk. Your body has a long warm up to do. I met Jim Fisk once, author of the complete book of running. Then he died of a heart attack while running. And he was in good condition. The legs on his book cover are his.
I'm not saying the heart attack was a result of running.
I'm saying not everybody should run. But if you want to build up to it over time. Walk before you can run.

@newcityn8 I'm a similar size and shin splints are a real problem. If you can run without any pain or discomfort, from my understanding you should be fine.

Plenty of large people play sports, and many others need knee replacements even though they've never been overweight. Being obese is obviously not great for anything long term though, including your joints.

@lnjblessings Just worth noting from someone who went through this - 250lbs down to 170lbs. What I thought were shin splints was just poor muscle tone in my lower legs. As soon as I started getting fitter the pain completely vanished. Shin splints from my understanding do not.

@newcityn8 Everyone talks about knees in here. But there's a non-zero chance that you could also mess up your hips and back running as well. Since studies show that ANY movement is good movement, start with just walking more. Walking is great, and medical people everywhere recommend it. Less stress on the joints, less impact on the body. Get some good shoes, is all. Swear that I saw someone walking for health in Crocs and was horrified.

@ka__f Getting good at walking fast consistently is a great workout. Improving posture, strengthening the core, shins, and calf muscles will go a long way before running.