Is it true that if you are overweight you shouldn’t run?

@newcityn8 What you are saying is true in the long term! But there are ways to mitigate it so that you can start running.

If you want to get your cardio up and shed a few pounds, long walks are good, but eventually, you'll need to up the rate at which you're going. Might I recommend an exercise bike or swimming as a low joint impact workout to bridge the gap? Also, if you do feel the need to run right out of the gate, running on grass (not turf) vuce a harder surface is much much better for your joints.

@newcityn8 I 29f was at 260 5'3 I'm now at 130 lost it by using an elliptical 30 min of movement low resistance and I kept trying untill I could do 30 min with out stopping then I slowing started to speed up how fast I was walking and I slowly upped the resistance once a week and now I run 2 miles 5 times a week on the elliptical
I enjoy it because it's low impact on the joints and you can do more then just walk/run you can also do squats while walking and pull with ur arms to get an arm work out

@newcityn8 Not true at all. I lost almost 90 pounds by doing cardio. What I do is mostly jog in place at home, so I can build my endurance. You can gradually increase how long you do it for, and if you feel any pain, you can stop immediately.

@newcityn8 Humans are made for long distance endurance jogging, but not carrying a lot of weight. Walk and swim until you drop the extra weight before going back to running.

Take care of those knees, you want them to last.

@newcityn8 I'm 5'9" as well and have weighing 220 myself. My starting weight was 268. Start with walking and do small spurts of running. Yes, you will find a spot where your knees hurt. That's your current limit.

6 months later, at 220, I am running 10-20 minutes straight at 4-6 mph pain-free.

When exercising, you have to find your limits, and then you build your ability to surpass your limits. Walking backward on a treadmill helps with knee pain if it starts hurting on the treadmill.

@newcityn8 It'll definitely have an impact on your knees. Increased load going through any joint will cause premature wear. Walking is a very underrated fitness tool, so keep doing that. Maybe consider using a rowing machine or going swimming instead?