Is it true that if you are overweight you shouldn’t run?

@ka__f True, I was around 100 kg/220 lbs and walked fast everyday 10km for over about a year and also changed the diet, lost around 20 kg/44 lbs just doing that

But I do understand that not everyone may see the some results from what I did but the point is that walking is a GREAT start

Damn I didn’t expect to receive so much awesome advices! Thank you guys so much! Yes I probably will stick with walking and diet to lost weight first, but I will carry on and get fit!

@newcityn8 I wanna chip in too man, I'm a bit heavier than you, a bit taller than you and I recently started caring about my health (and actually following through).

Something that's been huge for me is not eating less, like explicitly. I still eat just as much (sometimes I think I even eat more hahaha) but I have basically completely cut out junk food and I eat much less meat than I used to. I eat a shit ton of veggies and legitimately feel incredible. Get together a few simple meals plans. Some staples for me include rice n stuff, chili, I prep some shredded chicken for the week and keep on hand bags of frozen veggies and spinach and shit. It's gotten to the point where I actually feel good after finishing at the gym, and that point has been awesome to reach hahaha

I'm not sure if the same would work for you, but it felt like for years I tried to cut down my food intake and I tried to get into gym routines and it just never stuck. It's a legit lifestyle change man, so you gotta change into a sustainable lifestyle

@newcityn8 Instead of trying to walk farther for improvement, try walking the same distance you are use to and pick up the pace. Try walking faster everytime and before you know it, you'll be at a jog pace.

I found some good info on "walking form" by reading about Chi Walking. It's a great way to engage your core, focus on minimizing step impact, and pacing. They refer to it mostly for those training in distance walking type races, but it is practical advice.

@newcityn8 Take it slow. Diet and walking to reduce your weight and strengthen support muscles. Start running shorter distances in your walks and build up to going on a run

@stepham I always tell people to focus on calories and macros until they have a normal BMI. Walking is great for mental and heart health.

I only really got into fitness when my goal was to get more toned/muscular and maintain my weight with less dietary restrictions. But exercise was pretty much irrelevant until I went from a 27 to 23 BMI. Now I'm focusing more on things like getting enough fibre and iron.

@newcityn8 Walk. There's no added benefit to running and more risk. Once you incur an injury, that's going to put a stop to running and a lot of walking for a while completely eliminating that benefit while you heal. Then you're really not going to want to run. Do some research on the benefits of running vs walking. General consensus is that walking is preferred. Need more intensity? Walk more intensely.

@babyboy Please provide any studies of this. There are plenty of benefits to running compared to walking (not saying walking is bad - walking is fantastic).

Running doesn't have to mean or be intense. Slow jogging is a better biological movement pattern than fast intense walking, it is what your body naturally wants to do and was designed to do.

Most risk of running comes from too much distance, volume and speed much too soon, start slow. slowly build tolerance keeping the same intensity. Listen to your body ease off if you need to add in strength training and other cardiovascular exercises.

OP isn't even massively overweight (depending on muscle mass). Give it a go twice a week at an easy effort level, and small distance see how your body feels afterwards, if it's trashed slow it down a bit and reduce until you can recover. Then slowly build always assessing your body's recovery ability and if you are getting any injuries. Also make sure you have dedicated running specific trainers.

@hisholykingdom
it is what your body naturally wants to do and was designed to do.

When needed. Walking is our primary function with running as a second on an as needed basis, primarily for getting away from threats. In that regard, sprinting is more appropriate rather than long distance running.

Here's a study from 2013. Now overall it does seem to suggest an increased benefit for running, over time, however the only downside is that there were limited controls as the subjects were self reporting and not held to particular intensity standards. But as a snapshot of the average population...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4067492/

These results from these very large, prospective, cohorts suggest that equivalent doses of running (a vigorous exercise) and walking (a moderate exercise) are associated with equivalent reductions in the risks for new onset hypertension, hypercholesterolemia, and diabetes.

Furthermore, it does not appear to matter whether these exercise doses are achieved by running or by walking.

Now, it does say

The runners’ results showing increased benefit with increased running energy expenditure also provide confirmation in a new independent sample of a progressively beneficial dose-response relationship for this activity

Basically, running, you're burning more energy. More energy means lower BMI which means carrying less baggage around putting strain on your frame. That's the basis for most of the benefits, get rid of the baggage. BUT, there's also an increase risk for injuries such as runner's knee, achilles tendonitis, shin splints, plantar fascitis, stress fractures, etc. Once you incur one of these injuries, you're not going to be running AT ALL for a while preventing you from obtaining ANY benefit.

Walking is lower impact and less risk for injuries meaning that over time you can get more benefit out of it with less risk. Of course the best exercise is THE ONE YOU'RE GOING TO DO and the one that you'll do CONSISTENTLY. Absolutely, go back and forth between walking and a light jog, a sprint, or whatever feels right.

If you can afford it or have access to one, an elliptical machine is great because you can get the intensity much higher than walking while removing all concerns over impact of running. I keep one in my office at home so I can jump on it anytime I feel the need.

@newcityn8 It can be dangerous for the knees

When you start sport when you are overweight, you must start with cycling or swimming if you want to do cardio. These sports don't shock the joints

@newcityn8 “Shouldn’t” simplifies the situation too much. Running in general is high impact on the legs, and yes the impact is bad for joints. But weight, age, sex, and other individual health conditions play a role. In general, low/no impact cardio (e.g. elliptical, bicycle, walking, swimming, etc.) are easier on the joints.

@newcityn8 Do a walk run combo. I think the main issue with knees and being overweight is the stress on the ligaments and tendons. I had a horrible case of Achilles tendinitis and the doctor said part of it was due to weak calf muscles. Over time, even without pain, the ligaments can still be damaged as can cartilage.

If you’re concerned, see a doctor before starting a program. Or do s combination of walk/run/walk/run. There are lots of programs like c25k that are great for that. Also, stretch. Do not underestimate the importance of stretching. Keeping your tendons flexible can have a huge impact on joint health.

If you really want to run but aren’t sure how it will impact you, use a treadmill at first - the cushioning is much better on your joints and the ground is even.

@newcityn8 Running in general is tough on your joint: feet, knees, back. I second others suggestions to keep walking. After seeing a doctor, might consider strengthening exercises that just involve body weight resistance and start very slowly. If funds are available, it'd probably be worth working with a physical therapist that can guide you on strengthening the muscles that stabilize your joints and core. Trainers at gyms are hit and miss.

@newcityn8 I would keep walking until you get to under 200lb. I would be concerned about the knees.

Weight loss is mostly in the kitchen anyway so running is more to improve cardiac fitness.

@newcityn8 These days it is no longer believed that osteo-arthritis of the knees is caused by running. It is a degenerative disease where the cartilage doesn't regenerate producing inflammation, fluid build up and damage to the whole joint. High intensive exercise may make an existing condition worse though, but moderate walking or jogging are often recommended to manage and slow down osteo-arthritis. Jogging is higher intensity, but you do less of for the same amount exercise.

Being obese does increase the likelihood of osteo-arthritis in your knees in general by 4-5 fold because of the increased forces on the joints. Losing weight reduces this risk. You could start going up and down some hills to increase the intensity of the walks and try to lose some weight.

There are benefits in running, you get exercise is less time, load bearing exercise is good for bone strength, and high intensity exercise has increased cardiac benefits. But running injuries are higher, there are other options to running.

@newcityn8 I started off 300+. I walked a minimum of 30min a day.

When I got down to 270ish, I mixed in running. I’d walk 90 sec, jog 30. And over time, I’d decrease the walk, increase the jog.

Currently 225 and can comfortably run 1.5 miles or more without walking.

Build up to it. Let your muscles strengthen.

Good luck!