Is it true that if you are overweight you shouldn’t run?

@newcityn8 I am trying lose and I walk the treadmill a couple miles a couple times a week. I also have a bike class I participate in. This week I started every 30 minutes picking up the pace jogging for 2 minutes. Just to get heart rate up a bit and push it a little. Not sure if its the right or wrong call but my body managed it & the HR rate increased.

@newcityn8 Just remember diet is as important as exercise in how much energy and how much you burn. You have twenty minutes of glycogen flat out for the get go. The your breaking into other energy stores . Limit carbs and sugar for real.

Plus a ridiculous amount of energy is expended by simply breathing so work on your respiration!
As for running if that hurts you try wearing body weight it will help strengthen the core and add resistance training to your mix . For every pound of muscle you gain it takes an extra 50 calories a hour to keep it so it’s like building an internal furnace .
Lastly stay positive give yourself a break. Stress and stress Hormones are a killer your body cannot shed fat with high Cortisol levels! So let shit go stay consistent eat healthy and stay away from a scale ! Measure success by how you feel .

@newcityn8 One thing to add to other points here OP, this is why "cross-trainer" cardio machines are popular. They offer a similar exercise to running, but the motion is a smooth, continuous loop.

Don't want to get into a massive debate by the phd sports science person that'll doubtless be along to say that cross-trainers kill puppies or something. I'm not suggesting they're the same as running, or as good, or anything like that. Just this is what they were designed to do, to allow you to "run" in a continuous, smooth motion.

@newcityn8 Running? No, I would say a power walk or a light jog, but definitely not a run like what you'd expect from serious athletes and endurance trainers. A nutritionist would be the best person to ask for guidance on matters like this, and your PCP can definitely point you in the right direction, just don't get thrown for a loop if they suggest a physical therapist! I believe they need a basic understanding of nutrition before they can be certified to practice physical therapy, but I might be wrong about that. Regardless, that's definitely a wiser AND more reliable choice for guidance and accurate info than what you find on discussion boards and such! But yea, as far as my own experience goes I'd advise against a run and just keep it moderate until you lose about 10-12 lbs., start and stick to a balanced diet, and improve the cycling of your heart rate (I do burpees for that last part, myself).

@newcityn8 Talk to a doctor first.
The surface you run on makes a huge difference. Cement vs treadmill vs beach vs dirt path will all have very different impact

@newcityn8 I'm 5 ft 7, 240-260 depending. I've run for years, about 80 miles a month. Do strength training with it, listen to you body and invest often in good shoes you're fine.

@newcityn8 You probably got more to worry about shin splints or messing an ankle up than knee pain or damage. At least by the time you lose the weight. Football players and people in sports are pretty hefty and get jogging and running in even if they are a bit overweight. I think they mean more towards 300 lbs or more or that there is a chance it could happen to some people but overweight folks have been using treadmills since they came out and most have probably been fine. Never heard of a knee injury from overweight people running on youtube with people making a crazy face in a thumbnail. They would milk that for days man.

Heres a link to the mayo clinic - https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/knee-pain/symptoms-causes/syc-20350849

@newcityn8 Go for it! Start running!! I’m 5’10, 240 pounds, with an old knee injury and I can run and was actively encouraged to get back to running after hurting my knee. Most couch to 5k programs start with walking, so the long walks you’re already doing are a great foundation. If running is too difficult at first, do quick walking to start with. Doing some lower body strengthening exercises on the days when you are not running will help protect your knees (squats, lunges, calf raises, leg press in the gym if you have access). Cycling helps with the knees too.

@newcityn8 What you’ve heard is simply wrong. There’s a huge spectrum between a light jog and sprinting like Usain Bolt. Start with jogging a few minutes a day and work up.

@newcityn8 No you should not run if you are obese.

Running whilst extremely overweight can send you into a cardiac event.

Don’t listen to anyone here. Talk to your doctor about this and your specific situation.

Walk, stretch, do yoga and drink lots of water. Speak to your doctor before running.

@newcityn8 I will never understand why people run. it's like the worst thing ever for your body. everything about it is high impact. Find a pool and start swimming laps. you'll burn calories and drop weight faster than you thought possible. No joint pain. Zero impact.

@newcityn8 I used to be 220 and I’m 5’8. It never hurt my knees when i was running but I did feel sluggish, heavy and tired quickly. Imo, you should start slow and build your way up( 5 min jog/1 min walking, 10 min jog/2 min walking, etc) Good luck!

@newcityn8 I was there. I’m 5’7 and was 210. Basically started walking and then run walking then running. About 6 months later I ran a fun run type race that was 8 miles. It felt like a huge accomplishment. Since then I’ve run marathons and triathlons.
Just be regular and consistent and you’ll know what’s too much.