Is it true that you have to decrease your calorie intake as you lose weight?

@debate507 It’s not that your metabolism is ruined, it’s that a smaller mass burns less calories to maintain. A tall man who weighs 200 lbs needs more calories to maintain his current mass + have his organs function.

So yeah basically, the smaller you are, the least you burn at rest, just like a child needs less food to exist than an adult.

Anyway 10 lbs probably wouldn’t mean a 500 calorie decrease in your TDEE, it’s not that drastic.

@butterfly2222 I am so glad you clarified. So many people think their metabolism is not working properly because it goes down after weight loss. The analogy I like to use is a gas tank. If you have an suv with 16 gallons and downsize to a mini with 13 gallons, it doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the smaller car, it just has a smaller tank.

@inneed87 That is a good analogy! And technically the mini is more fuel efficient, therefore better. Ok I know most people actually want to eat more food but you can see it in a way like… you get less fatigued going on a hike because you have less weight to carry.

@debate507 Work with a sports dietitian who can help you recomp and lose weight sustainably so that you aren't forever cutting down to nothing. Taking diet breaks to build muscle help a lot. I find the generic tdee calculators to be pretty useless as it's a general algorithm and our short bodies can vary wildly.

@debate507 You don't have to decrease your intake when you plateau. A stall in weight loss can be a positive thing. If it does happen, have a look into body recomposition, where the aim is to keep your weight stable, reduce your body fat (measuring the waist to track) and increasing your muscle (fitness workouts + goals to track). Plateaus can help you keep the weight off long term. I credit them and reduced sugar consumption for my long term maintenance. 30kg gone. Has not come back.

Once you're ready to leave your plateau, you'll find the weight comes off fairly easily again. What I noticed most however was my reduced energy levels and fitness until my next plateau. So don't be afraid of them! It can be a good thing for you long term.

@ojiisanhikui It takes a lot of exercise to offset calories - it's generally better to have a balance and if nothing then control calories.

A lot of people fall into the trap of thinking they can outrun a poor diet. Or they claim they "can't lose weight" but then you realize they go to they gym, burn maybe 300 calories, come home and overestimate how much they burned then underestimate how many calories they eat and over eat by 600 calories. (Made up numbers but just as an example)

@krisamoah Is gym is the only way to burn calories? What about for the rest of the 23 hours a day?

There are posts here with women eating up to 2000 calories and still at a very healthy weight. Maybe OP should look on the other side of the equation rather than counting 1200 calories a day.

@ojiisanhikui The other 23 hours is your bmr unless you just change your overall lifestyle but for many of us there's 8-10 hours dedicated to work/commute that we can't always increase exercise with, 8-10 hours of sleep, so that's 3 hours left to do chores, make food, socialize, etc...

Yes you can change your lifestyle but it's not going to magically increase it a ton. Also, OP is 4'11" - 2000 calories is high for someone their height. Different bodies have different needs.

@krisamoah My comment basically resonates with the top comment. You can stick to your sedentary lifestyle because you have no time in the world to move more so you have to eat less, or make time to move more so you can eat more. But people are quick to jump on eat less, when there’s also the option to move more. And aye, I work 10 hour shifts a day 5-6 days a week. So I know exactly how having no time feels.

@ojiisanhikui For example yesterday, I went to yoga in the morning, I went on a 35 min walk (moderate pace) and did ballet for 1.5 hours and when I went to bed my Apple Watch told be I burned about 700 calories. This is a day with 3+ hours of exercise

@debate507 You only have to drop your calories if you have a plateau lasting several weeks. There are other strategies to bust through a plateau too, like a diet break. You also might want to consider if your aesthetic goals might be met by doing a recomp. Sometimes losing weight doesn’t get you where you want to be.

I like this description of a diet break and how to do it. https://rippedbody.com/diet-break/

@debate507 I have the Oura ring and have had it for 2 years. I’ve been losing weight for 18 mos. 5’1”, 42 years old.

My calories burned per day according to the ring at 165 lbs was 2,020 cals, at 135-130 lbs it is 1,960 cals. 80 cal difference of ACTUAL burn.

TDEE calculator says 1,615 cals for 165 lbs at sedentary. And 1,452 cals for 135 lbs at sedentary. 163 cal difference of potential burn.

As you lose “weight” ideally you’re losing fat and gaining muscle. So yes, you do have to eat “less” in a way. But as you recomp your body, muscle burns more calories just existing than fat does.

I found I worked best cycling calories, ie one day 1,800 cals, next day 1,100, next day 1,300, so total calories for the week were met. But helped me stay “consistent” as I’m not the type that can do things the same daily.