Lateral Raises at the end of every workout

@juanmz28 everyone else explained teh acronym but I will tell you what they are and why they might be something to consider in your training.

LLP is when you do partial reps when the muscle is at its most lengthened state. So this would be like the top half of the lat pulldown, or the first half a leg curl or leg extension. There is emerging evidence (albeit its still pretty new) that partial at the lengthened position may give more hypertrophy than full range of motion. The evidence is not strong enough to say throw out doing full ROM altogether and just do LLP, but you might want to throw in an extra set where you just do LLP, or after you fail your last set, immediately do some LLP.

This also can inform exercise selection. You would only do LLP on exercises where its hardest at the shortened position, like the exercises I already mentioned. There are some exercises where its hardest at the lengthened position already like squats, or dumbbell presses (if you actually pause at the bottom).

You may also want to preferentially choose exercises that stretch the muscles more. Incline dumbbell curls is a classic example of this. It just stretches your biceps more than other variations. Seated leg curls is another example, you get more stretch versus lying.

all of this being said, if you're new, don't worry too much about this stuff. When you're new everything works. Just follow a preset program without thinking about the why too much. And honestly even if this LLP thing turns out to be better, we're probably talking a 3% to 10% difference over the lifetime. If it was a huge influence we would have discovered it before it now.

@shiner222 For context, the daily amount (3-5 lighter sets) is certainly within my recoverable volume limit, while still allowing for progressive overload on shoulder day. For stronger rep work on shoulder day I'll do 25s or 30s dumbbells, but for the daily pump, I'll do 20s and 15s, so the joints don't ever get any issue.

Some of us are just addicted to that side delt pump lol.

@seitsem%C3%A4n Yeah that's fair, sometimes for my end-of-workout laterals I'll do cable raises, machine side delts, or different grip/angle DB laterals.

Point is, I'm doing something for 3-5 quick sets that's giving decent stimulation but not taking away from anything else. And since side delts are so important, I see no reason not to... Surprised more folks aren't trying this.

@patdude832 I think that's fine. That all i meant by variation. I had a time when i did 3-6 sets of side delts 5 days a week. Recovered and progressed great. But life revolved around then gym then

@seitsem%C3%A4n Run-the-rack dropset really let's me get it in efficiently if time is an issue. But another trick is just to buy some 20s or 15s DBs for your home and put in 5 mins some time, maybe before a meal.

@shiner222 The problem is less of how fast the delt recovers. (I've never been able to overtrain the actual muscle itself)

And how fast the shoulder itself recovers, how quickly it can become a lifelong permanent fucknup with joint/tendon/cuff issues.

You have to take into account the volume/intensity of everything that moves your arms in any direction.

Primarily the pressing movements. But even rows if you're a bad ass with some seriously heavy rows. You're shoulders are the arbitrators of all of that.

And shoulder injuries are one of the most common ones to happen period.

I think if dudes going light enough to not stress his actual shoulders out over time. Then the added stimulus ane growth is very minimal.

I think its far more optimal to do 3x a week, then every day. You get more recovery and can hit them at a harder stimulus both of which is more ideal for growth.

Hitting anything daily. And I'm just gonna say 5-7 days a week as daily, I think is almost never optimal for anything except cardio.