LifeFitness resistance levels? Also, any confidence tips?

txguy92

Hello all! 33/F
I’ve been going to the gym 1-3x per week since February! My gym has an area with exercise machines, and another with free weights and benches.
I’ve been using the machines exclusively, because I lack the confidence to use the free weights and not make an ass of myself. I’m very clumsy and there’s usually alot of people in there!!
But, I’ve decided I need to make a plan and just do it.

ANYWAY. On the “LifeFitness” machines, I’m “Level 10” on most. I can’t find ANYWHERE what the actual weight equivalent is to that. Help? And pointers on starting with weights and not making noob mistakes??

@txguy92 I would not try to equate weight on machines to any actual weight, even 2 different machines with a weight stack labeled with lbs are not going to be equal. Use it only as a progression indicator for that specific machine, using Level 9 and feel like its getting to easy? Increase to 10, that's all you should be using the number for. If you do a similar movement with dumbells or barbell, the machine weight doesn't matter at all because it will feel different, just start light and increase until it feels right.

@needheaven What I am trying to do, is not grab weights way heavier than what I’ve been doing and embarrass myself.
So I’m trying to figure out how much weight resistance I’ve been using.

@txguy92 Just know that everyone had their first time trying free weights. It is a little intimidating, but not hard at all. Pick a low weight and see how you do. If it's too hard, move down, too easy, move up. Remember that you're paying for the use of those weights too and you have every right to try them out. Get through the initial fear and you'll be fine. People notice more if you are lazy and don't re-rack weights than what you do with them or how well you use them. You can absolutely do it. Give it a shot, you won't regret the whole new world opening up to you.