Most impressive weighted muscle ups

@januszpedal2 No matter what is your level I think in 1-3 years you can surely achieve strict muscle ups. Slow false grip ones may be a good idea.

To learn them, here is a possible approach:
  • Train the false grip from the start, at the beginning do it feet assisted until you can dead hang in it. Take your time with the progression to avoid wrist pain.
  • Train pullups, then you can go weighted or do them in a false grip until your chest touches the bar and your forearms are horizontal.
  • Train dips, you can start on parallel bars with straight legs on the floor or negatives if needed, then progress to straight bar and improve your range of motion and go chest to bar or deeper.
  • Train the transition with foot assitance, as described here.
This is the minimum you would need to train for a slow muscle up, which will give you a strong transition, making it much easier when you do them kipping if you choose so.

@thomaslowrens I weigh 180lb.

I can do a 25lb strict MU on a bar.

I've done 3x5 at 35lb strict on the rings.

It's never occurred to me to try for a max weighted ring MU. hmmmm...

@thomaslowrens My best was strict rings +70 lbs at 135 lbs.

Elbows felt like they were going to explode, so I stopped training them. :eek:

In general, not super useful overall but a fun exercise to do once in a while

@thomaslowrens Unlikely, because holding/turning the hand is difficult while doing the transition with one arm which is much harder than a OAC/OAP. There's always going to be a "little" bit of a kip

@deborah123 It's true, but I have not seen anything closer.

Still, I am excited for the future of bodyweight training, since there are a lot more people doing them worldwide and in the next years we will see movements no one had succeeded at before.

@thomaslowrens I’ve done a straight bar muscle up at 60kg body weight with 25kg added. Currently out of training but getting back into it. Is this a good number? What weight would I need to hit at 60kgs body weight to equal the ratio record? I’m guessing around 32kg for straight bar?

@nom That's an advanced level I guess. World record with decent form is around 70% body weight as far as I know, so for 60kg it would be 42kg added. Not sure what's the record for your weight class in competition with judges.