Open Leaderboard b**tching....an annual tradition

elane

I don't usually waste time on this, but in this case it effects a buddy of mine...

Mens 65+ Worldwide Leaderboard

Spots 2 and 3 held by guys that have long history of Open success with scores of 183. Well done, guys. You are beasts.

In the worldwide #1 spot we have a gentleman with a score of 210. According to his profile on the games site, he has never done the Open and is 68 years old. Sir: if you have a video of this amazing performance, please upload it for us all to gaze in wonder at the image of a 68-year old completing all 20 MUPs in this very difficult test. If, on the other hand, you have mistakenly entered a scaled score as Rx, can you please get Crossfit to correct? Because errors like this really cheese people off.

And to the affiliate owner that validated this score: come on, man...you are the gatekeeper to integrity in this comp and you have failed spectacularly.

@elane I already made a post about this. I agree but I've already seen it being sorted. My big thing is that affiliates need to be held more accountable for scores that are posted in their gyms.

Just because most affiliate owners are game athlete hopefuls. (At least the ones in my area). So it is kind of the mirror of if you are willing to let someone use your affiliate name to lie about a score (that overall means nothing but does have implications) what are YOU willing to do for your own benefit

Note: I can excuse shady reps for wall balls and pull-ups just because the standards always have been changing.

@firefighter Pull up standards haven't changed as far as I can remember. How have they changed?

The wall ball standard has changed to make it easier to judge, but I'll agree that it's different.

@firefighter That's not a changing standard.

Wall balls changed because the middle of the ball needed make contact with the wall. Now the entire ball must cross that line. That is a changing standard.

The pull up standard had not changed. Inconsistencies in judging has always been an issue.

@sadkitty The entire ball does not have to cross the line. Here is where the confusion lies because CrossFit has a picture of the entire ball above the line, but the standard does NOT require the entire ball to be above the line, only that the center of the ball hits the target clearly ABOVE the specified height.

The picture shows one example of the center of the ball CLEARLY above the line.

@thasavior You're right. I read it incorrectly. I don't know why I thought I read it differently.

Edit: So neither standard that OP said has changed...which makes their logic even more confusing.

@elane Ha! That happens every year. This year it seems a lot of people screwed up their tiebreak times, but in a way that worked against them, not for them.

My gripe is the the home page of the Games website takes me to the page for my box.

There are drop-downs for Women and Men and then Division categories in 5 year groupings starting with 35-40 on up.

Unfortunately, those of us over 55 are not included in the broader "Men" or "Women" drop-downs.

I get it---our workouts are different, but I often have to explain to people that yes, I am actually doing the Open, it's just on a different drop down.

(And yes, there is a custom leaderboard workaround.)

@christhasrisen2000 Ya but half the time custom leaderboards don’t work. If I combine men and women into one leader board 50% of the time it errors out. If I make it where you can see either men or women it works all the time.

@elane There's a very easy fix for this. Holding affiliates accountable for validation of scores or requiring everyone to submit their videos and properly reviewing them.

If - hear me out - for every improperly approved result on the leaderboard HQ disqualified the entire affiliate and their athletes from that specific Open - I guarantee you next year their manager would quadruple check if everyone punched in correct scores. Would it improve the situation? IMO - yes. Would it result in decrease of sign ups? IMO - yes as well.

CF HQ needs to decide what they care about: Open participation and it being a community event (including income they generate from it) vs a competitive event where they want to enforce integrity: valid scores, standards, drug use. You can't have both.

@andy212 guess what: my box (in DE) isn't affiliated any more with CF HQ (due to costs).

All "our" athletes are doing the open as if there are affiliated with CFHQ but they use a different affiliated box which is 50km/~30mi way. So this affiliate just blindly approves the scores you put in as an athlete. The above would maybe improve the situation.

(I'm not doing the open this year due to a surgery)

Back