PSA: Don’t trust a shitty pull up bar. Almost died today because I’m an idiot

@mathighas Look up a steel supply shop that’s local to you. Go down there and ask to see .120 wall (called “one-twenty wall”) tubing. Grab something 1.5” or bigger.

That’s the stuff most roll cages in race cars are made out of, for example. Strong as shit. I have a 4ft section in my trunk as the worlds strongest breaker bar/jack handle.

Anyways point is if you could weld then welding up a frame would be ideal with concrete footings, but otherwise I’d imagine a 4x6 timber frame planted a few feet in a hole full of concrete then a hole saw the diameter of the pipe to make a hole to pop it into would work wonders and last at least a few lifetimes.

@lightlove7 I only recommend welding it if you have done it before and are able to recognize a cold joint when you see one. I’ve learned the hard way before, and the hole saw is the best method if you don’t have the experience.

@soliderboi50 This this this. It's not designed to carry loads. Its intended to provide a rigid structure for whatever is inside it.

Think it like a pencil...does a fantastic job keeping graphite intact but very easy to snap.

@gladhearts EMT is a bad idea, but rigid metal conduit would work. That shit does not break.

Source: am electrician. I bend that stuff for a living. I have hung from it, walked on it and fallen on it. Trust me, you'll break before it does.

Edit: looking at the pictures, I see what happened. There was no lateral stabilization on either base. This allowed it to wiggle side to side, stressing the weakest part of the pipe: the threads. A wide, sturdy base would solve this.

@hopetobereborn Depending on your budget, there's another option besides DIY: https://www.pullupmate.co.uk/view-all-products

Otherwise, as others have said, you can help this with further triangular support, and I really recommend tying the two sides together. I would make the base a rectangle instead of parallel feet.

In all honesty a frame of 4x4s would probably be more stable, but sunk costs can be hard to walk away from.

@trekdad99 I would have preferred that, but I'm a renter planning on moving within the next year. I'm going to keep going for the portable style, but with added support. Definitely open to suggestions!

@hopetobereborn Use more triangles. Hanging from the top is putting a lot of stress on the base, back and forth in both directions.

If you can't get more strength by using thicker pieces anchored into the ground, add some supports that make triangles. That should disperse more of thae stress into the base pipes instead of just that one point at the bottom.

@hopetobereborn Just so you know what you’re looking for, those joints are generally called gussets. They are fantastic for creating rigid structures. If you want to keep it portable, add gussets, and guy wires like on radio towers. You can get some decent stakes and Para-cord and have a pretty good setup that’s easy to tear down and store.