PSA: Don’t trust a shitty pull up bar. Almost died today because I’m an idiot

@hopetobereborn Those joints are definitely not made to withstand torque and at 9 ft you put a lot on them. Plumbing pipe shouldn’t be used as structural framing. You can use a pipe to pull from, like someone else mentioned support it off some 4x4s.

@hopetobereborn Why don't you use one of the pull up bars designed to hang on doors?
Granted, I only started RR a month ago and don't do rings yet, but it works well for me and it's ultra portable.
What is the downside once you've progressed?

@natrious I have a short squat rack w/ pull up bar in my low ceiling basement, and it works perfectly, but I’m 6’2’’. I want to be able to start from dead hang and learn muscle up. Not necessary, but more enjoyable

@seekfind I wish I had taken a more dramatic pic of the break. I already disassembled it, so no neighbors complain/hurt themselves. Here's a pic of before and after, just showing the point of breakage. I had already lifted the broken end back up. I was using the cement blocks for the added stability (the irony..cus that is probably what contributed to the break)

@hopetobereborn Wow, the pic helps put in to context why that thing failed. Glad you’re ok man

From looking quickly the lack of cross brace at the bottom probably didn’t help your joints. With the verticals sitting a little “toe out” the 90degree joints would be taking a lot more load that if it was perfectly perpendicular to each other, a brace at the bottom would help with this and keeping the frame in shape

If I was to build that thing again I would build a simmilar structure out of wood and mount a 3” diameter (scaffolding pole) between the uprights.

When building like this you need to think triangles too. Making an inverted “T” shape for each side is good, but then brace the upright to the foot of the T with a 45degree brace on either side and then connect both sides via a beam between them at the bottom. I would have thought 4x4” fence posts would be sufficient and would allow you to mount the pull up bar between them by drilling a whoppping big hole and then capping off the bar either side to ensure it secure (no joints to break)

Good luck my dude

Edit - like this but without the fancy top bits and also central to the base

https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?img...sXaAhXDDMAKHfm6Ds4QMwhwKAswCw&iact=mrc&uact=8