PSA: Don’t trust a shitty pull up bar. Almost died today because I’m an idiot

@srawf Here's a sneak peek of /r/crossfit using the top posts of the year!

#1: Today marks 9 months of CF and I gave birth to what appear to be muscles! Who knew someone who hadn't even touched a barbell up until that point could fall in love with getting stronger each day? Completing my first Tough Mudder on Saturday! 💪🏾😝 | 217 comments

#2: Look how less fat I am! 18 months progress | 105 comments

#3: Down 100 lbs! Finally met my goal. | 82 comments

[sup][sup]I'm[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]a[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]bot,[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]beep[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]boop[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]|[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]Downvote[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]to[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]remove[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]|[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]Contact[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]me[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]|[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]Info[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]|[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]Opt-out[/sup][/sup]

@srawf haha, I was trying to emphasise that they have the "safety factor" of definitely being able to withstand the load even if it's a fast moving one, rather than trying to encourage bad form. Definitely a botched word choice on my part.

@bigluko Thank you! Great ideas. I'm hoping that I can salvage some of the investment I made in all this metal. Maybe that's not possible. I'm going to make sure to do the research before I build again.

@hopetobereborn similar thing happened to me a year ago. bar snapped while getting up for negatives. i was using a chair to step up, so i fell backwards on my head. lying on the ground, i really thought i was dying for the first minute. result was two herniated disks. be careful folks.

@runnergirl75 for real. I've been doing all this in a low ceiling basement until I built it, so I was screwing around for a good 10 minutes being upside down and doing fully extended skin the cat, because I finally could. I'm thankin my lucky stars.

@runnergirl75 My first time at the Lyra gym I was really concerned about the trapeze-y flips and inversions and whatnot that people were doing. No one fell, despite the fact that it was many people's first time. It turns out that we evolved from climbing mammals, and our first instinct is to grip harder when about to fall. Almost no one falls in a Lyra class - but plenty of people wrap themselves around the apparatus and grip really hard :).

@runnergirl75 Dude! I haven't been training skin the cat since I moved because the door frame my pullup bar is on is so rickety. I do weighted pullups with 50+ pounds and it hasn't caved yet, but with my luck, it'll definitely break in the middle of a skin the cat, so I don't even mess with the move at the moment.

@hopetobereborn I’m late to post here but I think it’s important that even if the new one you build seems sturdy to buy some type of mat to use under it. My dad built a seemingly sturdy pull up bar that lasted him over a decade. Last year it broke while he was on it and he fell and hit his head on the concrete and got a severe concussion that took almost a year to heal and did permanent damage. Better safe than sorry.

@hopetobereborn hahaha no worries, i'm an engineer and it's common practice among engineers so don't feel bad for not knowing. Remember though, simple designs mean less points of failure. Keep that in mind when designing anything. If you're inexperienced with any sort of design, always over design and use a very high factor of safety (essentially a term that indicates how much you over design something). Look up all the materials before coming to a final design. Best of luck! Glad you didn't injure yourself!

@hopetobereborn Remember, everything is rated! Just because it's metal doesn't mean it's impervious to breakage. When you pay for a professional pull-up bar, you're paying for the engineering, the rated steel, the solid assembly, all of which keep you safe. I'm glad you're okay! Just shell out some cash for a legit one next time.

Back