Pull-ups and Science

@this_dot Record a video of yourself doing it, check time stamp at beginning and end or maybe more accurately check the frame number at start and end and divide by frame rate of video.

I was just playing with this and found that VLC doesn't have an easy way to view frame number and the timecode was only to nearest second so I found this command for ffmpeg (free download for all platforms) to overlay the frame number over the video. Then I went frame by frame ("e" hotkey in VLC) and recorded the timestamp to where I initiated the pull to when I stopped at the top, subtracted the two and divided by my framerate (30 in most instances) and I came up with 1.9 seconds on the dot (it was a couple months ago and a couple sets deep) I'm interested to try this again and see where i'm at now that I've moved to weighted pullups.

ffmpeg -i input.MOV -vf "drawtext=fontfile=/windows/fonts/Arial.ttf: text=%{frame_num}: x=(w-tw)/2: y=h-(2*lh): fontcolor=black: box=1: boxcolor=white: boxborderw=5: fontsize=20" -y output.mov

Be sure to change the input and output files to match your situation.

@this_dot There's some great stuff on pull ups written by Cody lefever (@nanae15) He's a power lifter but I thought it was pertinent to this post. What he wrote is largely anecdotal (though he does reference some studies) but supports the great stuff you cited in this post. Lefever's post is also very practical, including some approaches to developing your pull-ups.

There's a part 2 as well:

@neuestestament If you really are a beginner, be careful about negatives. They are very rough on your muscles, and you will have, at least, serious DOMS tomorrow.

Try one. If you fall down with little control, you are not ready for them.

Keep progressing through rows, getting more horizontal and do scapular pulls.

@this_dot I didn’t take your comment that way also. I appreciate the advice. I wish I could say I could do it pretty quickly. It’s been a struggle for sure. I lack consistency

@this_dot Awesome! And yeah, I wish there were more studies on bodyweight movements. A lot of this reflects my experiences with the pullup. I think the biggest takeaway is on velocity vs endurance.

@this_dot Wow. Fantastic. It looks like there is a predictive correlation between single-rep (first-rep) velocity and endurance.

The studies seem aimed at instructors who have to assess large groups of people (e.g. recruits), in a limited amount of time, across a series of different drills. The instructor has one hour to assess 100 recruits across a battery of five drills. Each drill takes time, and each drill further fatigues the recruit. Instead of having a recruit perform each drill to failure, the recruit performs one repetition as quickly as possible, measured with an accelerometer. Each drill requires less time and less energy.

@this_dot The past 6 weeks ive pretty much dropped vertical pulling and focused solely on horizontal pulling. My shoulders have never felt better and I haven't lost any vertical pulling strength.

Starting to think rows are superior to pullups

Back