Rant about people trying to look skinny or have a x inch waist

@pleasesaveme I know, but some people are trying to go from average normal weight to the bare minimal close to 18.5 BMI.

And I suggest weightlifting and macros because they’re currently eating 1200-1300 cals and that will kill their metabolism, making it Harder to lose weight in the future and gaining all the weight back.

@crosswalk1991 They won't kill their metabolism. And if someone wants to be that low, that's their business. If it's causing them a lot of stress or they feel awful physically, of course I wouldn't recommend it. But there are people who sit around a lower weight and feel perfectly comfortable where they are.

@crosswalk1991 You don't kill metabolism that way. It's a myth. You reset daily. I'm not saying that anyone SHOULD eat 1200 calories (although for very petite women who are sedentary that's not starvation, but whatever, not arguing that point) but the idea that in doing so you'll cause lasting harm - no, that's wrong. You might binge as a result, and you may gain back the weight. Neither of these is desirable. But the metabolism myth really needs to die.

@crosswalk1991 right? just saw a post: “blah blah stuck with a 30 inch waist for the rest of my life.” Why do people think these metrics are applicable to their unique body? Unless you know your waist was x inches before you gained some weight, it just makes no sense to me…everyone is structured differently.

@dailyrx I saw that post and felt like that could be me, and yes it was in comparison with my own body before I got fat. Fitness can be measured however any individual sees it. Some might base it on what they're lifting and some might be going on aesthetics. I don't see how either should be discouraged as long as the goals are within healthy and safe limits.

@dailyrx I just lead with saying I was comparing myself to myself before I gained weight, which you already said was acceptable in your view. And even if I was idealizing someone else's body, so what? Why is that wrong? And what is wrong with expressing frustration about that? A 30" waist isn't big or unhealthy but I can see how it might not have a certain visual effect on someone who isn't tall. It's really not hard to understand

Edit because I don't want to reply individually. What is unhealthy for one person is perfectly fine for another. There is nothing in this sub's rules against anything being discussed here. I am sorry if you struggle with ed/bd but please don't project your own needs onto others in a space that accepts things which bother you. That isn't healthy either.

@nolab123 Because idealizing/valuing someone else’s body over your own is generally a really shit thing to do and takes away from your own fitness goals and value?

ESPECIALLY if the features you admire in them are just plain genetically out of reach and won’t happen, because doing so can be demotivating and detrimental to your mental health.

@dailyrx Don’t worry, the commenter above says it’s totally chill and it will in no way negatively impact them despite decades of clinical psychology research saying otherwise.