Sporty people: Where do you get all of your protein?

reneaz

Hello everyone,

First things first: keep in mind I’m 158cm!

This goes to the sporty ones..

I’m having a hard time to get to 120gr a day of protein as I find tempeh disgusting, I have a hard time to digest legumes, so what I’m left with is just tofu and seitan, which gets boring, needs a lot of servings a day to hit the 120gr of protein, and as I am far away from being a chef I can’t make it taste good LOL..

If I wanted to get 120gr of protein a day I’d have to eat 8/12 blocks of tofu. I mean that is a lot, especially for someone short like me: I don’t know where to put them in my stomach.

Do you have the same issue? How do you solve it? I guess eating as much tofu as you want/can, and the rest just by having protein shakes or bars?

Can’t find other way to get them from food.

@ocd777 This is a good point, I stopped drinking soy milk years ago because I felt like I was eating too much soy, but that has been debunked. I should rotate it back in.

@ocd777 I agree, starting with body weight is a good point, I feel a lot of people overestimate their protein needs for the amount the work out (and some underestimate it, of course).

@ocd777 hey I'm 63kg. I got the 120gr a day from MyFitnessApp but also from researching online as a way to lose weight — upping your protein to reduce your carbs intake.

@reneaz Edit-sorry for formatting, I'm on mobile. I tried lol

• Protein powder—I get Vega sport or Orgain sport

• Extra firm tofu

• Dry roasted edamame—I buy Seapoint Farms, 20g per 200 calories

• PBFit or PB2—I usually add it to my oatmeal or use it as a dip for apple slices

• Hemp hearts—also usually add to oatmeal, but it doesn't have much flavor and can be added to a lot of things

• Gardein ground be'f—easy to cook, relatively inexpensive

• Protein pastas—Barilla is less expensive than Banzaa where I'm located

• Some breads have higher protein, like Dave's Killer Bread. Even if you just get one with whole grains & seeds it'll probably be higher than like white breads

• Soy curls—Butler brand on Amazon. Super easy to prepare and they soak up flavor really well.

• Nugo Slim bars—not all of the flavors are vegan. I like the espresso flavor and I think it's around 17g for 170ish calories

@reneaz Tofu, peanut butter, bread, legumes, red lentil noodles (wildly underrated), pea protein powder from sprouts farmers market, just off the top of my head. I eat most of these daily.

@lmdooleyjr Red lentil pasta is awesome, vegan, gluten free (my wife is gluten intolerant so huge life saver), who doesn’t love pasta! Can become a high protein meal with soooo many things.

@reneaz Try boiling tempeh for 5 minutes prior to cooking it the way you normally would. That will remove the bitterness from it and change the flavor quite a bit.

@lasthero This 🤌 I hated the taste/texture of tempeh for a long time till I boiled it. Sliced it up and marinated overnight. Then pan fried it the next day. Game changer.

@reneaz Are you sure you need that much protein? I’m a 5’9 (176 cm) guy who lifts and plays bball pretty regularly and that’s a bit under what I get in a day. Then again I’m only 145 so I may not need that much. Anyways, I usually get 80 grams from overnight oats with 2 scoops vega sport/oats/soy milk, another 4-5 grams from a handful of nuts, and then 40-50 grams from a block of tofu, tenpeh, seitan, tvp, or daring chicken. That totals out to 120-130 grams I think

@bogle People are way over obsessed with protein it drives me crazy. I’m 5’9” 150ish and eat 80-90 grams per day, I’m obviously not a big dude but I’m stronger than 99% of people my height/weight and could easily gain more muscle just by eating more. Protein is almost never the limiting factor

@reneaz i like to use grains that have higher protein (eg quinoa and wholewheat) and also nuts and seeds (eg hemp) to add a little here and there. also soy milks and yoghurts are a good source, as well as some protein powders (often unflavoured have fewer additives and you can make whatever flavour smoothie you want with it!!)