Weekly Question Thread - Week of 10/1/2018

@tinkiepanda Dr Israetel is very knowledgeable, and I would trust anything he put together, however I don’t think it’s worth $100, when you could just easily put together something of your own using the principles and all the free info he’s put out there by yourself. Which is what I’m doing.

@tinkiepanda You get what you pay for. They’re worth it IMO. Takes the guess work out of it. They are also repeatable so you can get years of use out of it.

That being said you can find the templates online for free and see if you like how they look. They don’t come with faq online so you won’t really know how to use it but at least it can give you an idea.

@paparazi257 Well the open heart surgery (aortic valve repair) was done last Wednesday!

I went to the gym today and walked for 60 minutes straight.

I'm allowed to lift dumbbells/weights 10 lbs. and under for the next 12 weeks until my sternum heals and I'll have full clearance, which then I'll ease back into Lyle McDonald's GBR.

How should I setup my 10 lb. lifting routine in the meantime? I'm not allowed to do any overhead work.

I was thinking:

4x week, 3 sets x 10-15 reps

DB Split Squat

Leg Extensions

Seated Leg Curl

DB Standing Calf Raise

DB Bench Press or Machine

One Arm DB Row or Machine

DB Curl

Triceps Pushdown

Rope Pullover

DB Lateral Raise

Any thoughts?Or could I just do Lyle McDonald's GBR with 10 lb. weights?

@sarange What exactly do you mean?

If you are talking asking about a maximum of exercises you can do per workout then definitely, there also is one for every day (you could be doing 2 workouts)

But it's mostly governed by your endurance and conditioning.

If your sessions are too hard take a 5-10 minute break of lifting stuff, go to the stationary bikes and tread very light for some time, you will feel refreshed and crush the remaining workout.

If you are talking about maximum sessions per week then yes of course that exists too. CNS fatigue is mostly gone 2 hours after lifting the feeling that is often associated with fried CNS comes from muscle soreness mostly. For me 6 times a week doesn't feel near as good as 5 times per week. The extra day really brings it home.

@trumpeter2 My apologies. I mean like total sets per workout. For example if you wanted to take Chest, Back, Shoulders and Arms to MRV in an upper body workout, that’s easily 40 sets in one session (1.5-2 hours at least). I just wonder if it would be so many sets that you would be so fatigued your strength would drop significantly than if you just split the session up (such as into a PPL).

@trumpeter2 So what’s the maximum amount of sets you think you could do in a session before eventually fatigue is too much and everything after that just becomes junk volume?

@sarange After maybe 2 or 2.5 hours.

After 30 hard sets (varies from person to person) you are grinding out sets and will hate every minute of it. You will give up because of that first. If not then after enough time you will reach a point where your hormones will switch from anabolic to catabolic and you are doing more harm than good. Test goes down, cortisol up.

@trumpeter2 Yeah, makes sense. Actually just watched a video with Dr. Mike where he talks about that in particular and basically, he says if you’re trying to do so much volume you’re either exceeding that 1.5 to 2 hour mark for one session OR you have to reduce your frequency to less than 2-4x per week to fit it all in, you’re probably doing a lot of sets that aren’t really doing anything (i.e. doing sets just to do sets = “junk volume”)

@paparazi257 Squatting: I have been training with a new partner for a couple of weeks, he goes far heavier but doesn’t go full ass to the grass, he feels I burn myself out too quickly on the lower weights by doing so but surely it’s better to stick with burning out on lower weights in full motion..?

@jayrashman Always remember, how heavy weight is, is only relevant to the person lifting it. Only work with weight that you can still perform full range of motion and proper form with. If you can't go to depth in your squat with heavier weight, than stick to the weight where you can.

@jayrashman Get the most out of your movements, full range of motion is always better. I wouldn't worry about the amount of weight your moving as long as your making progress.

@paparazi257 When Mike Israetel suggests specializing on two or three body parts at a time and only increasing volume for those body parts for a few mesocycles at a time, should you just keep the others at maintenance volume, or keep them at minimum effective volume and only increase intensity? So technically you’re still trying to grow those body parts, just devoting the volume increases through sets to those body parts you’re focusing on.

@sarange Depends on how advanced you are. I would do MV since that gives you more time for the focus and the resensitation effect from MV is probably better/the same than doing MAV.

Beginners full body

Intermediate full body

Advanced intermediate upper and lower focus

Advanced chest+back, legs and arms+shoulder focus

There probably is no reason to go even further in focusing.

@paparazi257 How do you guys train arms on an Upper Lower split? I’ve been adding in isolation exercises at the end of my upper workouts, close grip bench for tris and dumbbell extension on one day and then either a skullcrusher or California press and a tri machine, they also get hit from dips that day.
Biceps on the first day I do hammer curls with forearm curls plus all of he pulling exercises hit biceps and second day I’ll do B.B. curls with a bicep machine while also getting hit from pulling exercises that second day.

Thoughts or tips?

Back