What are your favorite protein sources?

blindly28

Along with being vegan, I am gluten free, limit soy because of a hormonal issue, and can’t have artificial colors. I’m real fun. I was wondering if anybody had any good protein recommendations?

As of now, I eat a lot of chickpea pasta and I use Huel protein powders sometimes. Those are pretty much the only protein-dense things I like so far, but I haven’t tried much yet.

Edit: In case this is relevant, I’m 20f, 5’3”, 113lbs, eat 1,800-2,200cals a day, and average about 60g protein each day. I’m aiming to increase my protein intake to 70g a day and go from there since I hope to start lifting at some point, but I want to get my diet in check first.

The soy I just avoid because I’ve noticed it making my period cramps worse, and that’s been a consistent issues for me during the 6 years I have been vegan. I still eat it, and on the weeks of my cycle further from menstruation I eat a decent amount of soy. Sorry for being so vague to begin with, I just didn’t want to bore anybody with that kind of explanation lol. I only mentioned the low soy because I would like to find protein sources I can eat at whatever point in my cycle.

@dawn16 (edit*)I agree with this, I *bought a container of pb2 and will definitely continue to powdered PB. I love that it allows for thin smoothies but retains the flavor, and it's really good.

@blindly28 I think you should rethink soy, but given those restrictions id go heavy on pea protein(either get flavored and pay extra or go unflavored and make smoothies with other things to flavor) tvp made od pea if you can find it and the non soy high protein beans ie navy beans great northern beans etc. Also split red lentils.

@blindly28 Legumes. You can eat like a can’s worth with veggies and get 25g of protein for about 400-450 calories.

Legume based tofu. My grocery store sells a chickpea based one but I’ve heard it’s also relatively easy to make.

@blindly28 Can you elaborate on the hormonal issue? If you're omitting soy because you heard it causes an increase in estrogen, that is in fact a myth. Soy is a powerhouse protein source, highly recommended.

Pretty much all plants and fungi provide protein to some degree, so it's a good idea to eat a wide variety of foods. Legumes, provide the most per serving though, followed by mushrooms, grains, seeds, and nuts. Quinoa, which is a grass, also provides a moderate amount of protein.

Back