What can I do when I’m young to keep healthy when I’m older?

@burialchoice Don’t do what I did:) At your age I was always undereating (and definitely not getting enough of protein); did mostly cardio - the weight machines were an afterthought - drank too much clubbing on the weekends and either overslept or pulled all nighters.

@truckerdan SAME.

Oh man, if I ate what I did now plus the activity I was trying to do then (which I didn't have the energy for because undereating because sKiNnYyYy) I would have really tapped in on some high potential for athleticism. Finally getting it now, but now I have 37 year old knees, and the rest is catching up. I really fucked up nutrition the first go around because I focused on ALL the wrong things.

Now I know that if I don't eat, I can't get stronger, can't have that humming metabolism, and can't get happier, and have more energy and eat what makes me smile on occasion. I would do that part over in a second.

@burialchoice Longevity is also a pet interest of mine. Here's what I believe based on my reading....

Walk a lot. Wear good running shoes, replace when recommended (it's expensive, but cheaper than new knees). Be prepared to quit running and switch to a lower impact sport before your doctor tells you to.

Lift weights or do other upper body training (your back, shoulders and wrists will all thank you). Take time to learn proper form, cause nothing ages you faster than injury. Strength training decreases mortality from all causes, including cancer.

mobility is also a real good idea, as is building habits of regular movement. Fidget, get up often, don't be a potato.

Eat right, eat s l o w e r, keep your teeth clean, sleep a lot, don't smoke, wear sunscreen.

@rsdar Teeth is for real. The plaque on your teeth is the plaque in your brain for dementia, and as of right now they think poor dental hygiene is part of how it gets past the blood brain barrier.

@dawn16 Technically that's not true ("plaques" in your brain refer to accumulations of proteins- in the case of Alzheimer's disease it's beta-amyloid protein- whereas dental plaque is the accumulation of sticky saliva/food/bacteria on your teeth) but there is entirely a link between chronic inflammation- including oral inflammation from poor tooth/gum health- and a number of neurodegenerative diseases.

@dawn16 It may be correlative and not causal though; people with the genes that correlate with dementia are also more likely to have plaque build up. I'm talking about the double APOE allele

@1950princess Well this is good to know. Thanks for the link. It's been way too long since I've been to a dentist so I've been nervous to go. But finding this out is the kick I need to suck it up and make an appointment. My grandmother had Alzheimer's and I remember she also had a lot of problems with her teeth though I can't remember exactly what.

@david29s Coming from someone who's been in the same place, def look around for gentle dental places. a LOT of dentists now realize fear keeps people away, and do many things to keep people comfortable. I was going to a place where I used to live that would do hand massages and parafin hand dips while you got worked. I currently go to a place that gives me nitrous cuz I am just that far anxious about it. It's a godsend for me, I'm able to go and not be totally frightened.

@david29s Yeah, I feel you. A couple months ago I went to the dentist for the first time in 7 years. I hadn't had insurance until last year, and then I waited longer because of the pandemic. I was pretty nervous too. Had 4 cavities and getting them all filled in one go was expensive and painful, but could've been worse. The thing to remember is that dental issues don't tend to reverse themselves, so the longer you wait, the worse it'll be. Much better to just keep on top of it.

ETA: I was mostly nervous about the diagnosis, but also a little worried about the judgement. Definitely didn't need to worry about that. While the staff did ask how long was "a long time," they didn't bat an eye at 7 years. Whatever you've got going on, they've seen worse. They're just there to help. :)

@1950princess Thanks. I have a high pain tolerance and dental work itself has never bothered me (in fact years ago my dentist recommended I have full anesthesia for having my wisdom teeth removed and I said nah I'm good with just local anesthetic as long as you let me listen to headphones lol), so my anxiety is all about diagnosis (if it's a cavity, not a big deal, but worried it will be worse) and judgement. But I also talked about this with a friend the other day, so between the responses I've gotten here and my friend, I'm feeling better about making the appointment. I'm gonna look up dentists that take my insurance right now so I can call them first thing in the morning to set up an appointment!

@dawn16 And daily flossing both improves your immune system and helps maintain heart health!

Daily flossing removes extra bacteria from below the gum line that brushing can't reach. Excessive bacteria in the mouth means your body has to send immune cells to your gums which causes swelling and thickening and can ultimately progress to gum disease. When you keep your teeth clean, your body can focus on its response to viruses and bacteria elsewhere in the body and that keeps your immune system strong.

The story is much the same in terms of heart health: constant inflammation has a cascade effect on your body. Poor dental health increases the risk of bacterial infection in the bloodstream, which can affect your heart valves. Better dental hygiene won't prevent or cure heart disease but the two are definitely correlated.

Good oral health contributes to good overall health. Inflammation damages every part of the body, so do what you can to minimize inflammation (stress) everywhere you can!

@rsdar
Take time to learn proper form, cause nothing ages you faster than injury.

Focusing on form is key. I see people at the gym lifting really heavy weights but horrible form. Proper form may actually mean lowering weights, but the long term benefit is in proper form.