What kind of protein do you take?

raitmet

So my sister and I switched to a new protein shake... we've only had it for about a week and it claims to make changes in 8. I'm just curious on what protein you guys take?
The name of my protein shake is "GNC AMP WHEYBOLIC" chocolate fudge flavor :p

@raitmet I use the Optimum Nutrition Whey because you can get a big bag of it at Costco for under 70 bucks but honestly I’ve been buying the liquid egg whites, Greek yogurt and cottage cheese as snacks in between meals and I hit my protein goal daily. Also don’t buy into the marketing crap it’s honestly better to eat whole food protein powders are just more for convenience

@jswain0411 We were actually using the optimum nutrition and it's great tbh. I like the flavor a lot more compared to other ones. I've tried to use egg whites but I don't use them enough. I do Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, and some protein bars as well. Eggs every morning for sure. 👍🏼 Trying to shove it all down is the issue lol

@jswain0411 I haven't tried drinking egg whites 🫢😅 Kind of scared tbh, I eat a lot of eggs but I heard the yolk can be bad if you eat enough of it? I haven't done that much research on eggs.

@raitmet Well if you get Pasteurized egg whites it is safe to drink. Honestly if you wanted to put them in a drink to mask you’re drinking egg whites you really don’t notice them at all. Eggs aren’t unhealthy I just don’t eat them because I had to cut a lot of body weight.

@raitmet What changes are you expecting? Protein powder isn't some sort of magic. It's just powdered protein. It does nothing on its own.

I personally get my protein target just from my meals. It's useful though if you have a very high protein target. The best one is the one you can stomach the easiest.

@blazer70x7 I'm not expecting much except being able to help build muscle. I'm just curious as to what other people take and if I can include or switch or just simple try. I'm still new to this. Thank you for the info. :)

@raitmet It's just a supplement. It does the same thing protein in food does, which is helps muscle recovery. it just adds more (supplements) when you can't actually eat more food with protein.

If you're trying to get, for example, 130g of protein a day, and your food only gets you to 110g, then you supplement the 20g with protein powder, or any other form of protein supplement. That's all it does.

(I use unflavored isopure whey, 25g of protein, zero fat, zero sugar, zero carb, 100 calories per serving)

@raitmet Literally every single type of powdered protein fucks my stomach up other than egg white powder. I tried all sorts of different types of isolates and egg white powder is the only one that I can regularly tolerate. It’s sort of pricey to me because I refuse to buy any brand not made in USA, but I really enjoy it. I use 24 grams of egg white protein powder in a 28oz blender bottle with a 240ml of oat milk, 6 grams of pure coco powder, a pinch of decaf instant coffee and the rest water. I shake the hell out of it and put it in the fridge, I do my workouts then I reshake the bottle and drink it. It smells like eggs but it doesn’t really taste like eggs (to me) and I think it tastes pretty good like that.

@jerri Hey that's solid tho! I tried to get on the egg whites as well but I can't do eggs everyday. Do you take a probiotic? Thank you for more info on eggs whites tho, I've seen all types of shakes being blended, I just like to do lactose free milk and add my protein powder. This new one claims to be more better on the stomach and so far I haven't felt a change in the way my stomach tolerates it.

@jeffr0x Wow you buy both? I'm not a fan of the plant based protein powder tbh. Tastes horrible but we used to buy the whey powder optimum one until we recently tried to change it up and see what works "better". And claims to make a change in 8 weeks the protein powder I'm taking.

@raitmet GNC is full of shit. Buy whatever you want from them obviously but those kind of claims are not supported by science. You need to aim for .8g of protein per pound of body weight and honestly, any kind of protein you can get is better than none. Certainly there are some proteins that are better in terms of their amino acid ratios (like collagen is not great but whey is). I used to use soy protein and have eaten nutrition bars and shakes with that for a long time. So I probably tolerate a crappier tasting powder. Ha! Seriously though, I like the Orgain Plant Based vanilla and I bought the Whey in Chocolate because I was hoping to cut back on Fairlife Nutrition Plan and save some money. But I like Fairlife and I keep forgetting I have the chocolate whey protein.

Back