48M kind of disappointed in 2-years' gym progress. Maybe I need some help

@becksblue Exactly. Plus the older we get (I’m 45) the more our diet needs to be dialed in to see results. If you’re not tracking macros, you have no idea what’s going on with your diet.

Do a hard month of tracking macros based on a legitimate formula and guaranteed you’ll see results. Keep lifting heavy too!

@jahrooshshalom Honestly, I hit 40 last year and I’ve always struggled with gaining weight. Mostly for lack of tracking or being honest with what I was tracking, but also from a ridiculously high metabolism and I just chose not to feed.

Now is the first time where I’m looking at the other side of the equation. Gaining muscle without going overboard with the weight.

I’m 1.5lbs away from my arbitrary goal weight (set 20 years ago), but I’m far from the body I pictured lol. I’m still quite healthy, but the abs are missing at the moment. I’m calling it my “winter coat” lol. I’ll keep pushing until late spring and then trim off 7-10 lbs. But this will be the first time I’ve ever had to consider a cut. Should be interesting

@becksblue Yeah it’s crazy how hormones change the equation. I’m trying to simultaneously build muscle and lean out and yeah, it’s almost impossible now. I’m in better shape than in my 20s but I did fuck all then and now I’m super dialed in:-(

Oh well, the rewards are sweet! Good luck to you:💪

@nowhereman A few things..

You’re probably not eating a consistent amount of protein per day.

What’s your height and weight?

You should aim for at least 1g/lb of bw. Example - 200lb man needs 200g. And if you’re not accustomed to eating for results. “Eating because I like variety” is just an excuse to not doing the work.

I’ve eating 200g of protein for 14 months consistent and have noticed …

I gain strength easier. My PL lifts increased consistently. Gaining more size. Shirts are getting fuller.

Next is calories - eating MORE is needed to put on tissue. If you’re not getting stronger or increasing your volume.

Ex - 3 sets of 12. 4 sets of 10. Then 3 sets of 8(heavier weight) and not progressively overloading with more volume. You will not gain muscle.

Volume = hypertrophy.

What helped me… eating consistently. Havin go to meals I enjoy. And having a little variety for 1-2 meals a day. Meal prepping.

Once you’ve measured and weighed food. I never weighed again. Because I learned to eat the same meals MOSTLY breakfast and dinner. Lunch and my 4th meal were varied.

Powerlifting is c

@nowhereman As another 48M, what kind of program are you running for lifts? You posted the increases in 1RM, but over two years of regular lifting those don’t seem like amazing increases.

I’ve found that as I’ve gotten older, my body responds a little better to higher volume and lower intensity—I feel less beat up, and notice more muscle gains.

@nganha222 Started with a couple MAPS programs. Did 5/3/1 for beginners for a long while. Most recently did GZCL Jacked & Tan 2.0.

Sample of a recent week:

Exertion level: Most sets within 1-2 reps of failure while keeping good form.

DAY 1

Treadmill - 5min warmup

Squat - 235x4, 205x3, 205x3, 205x6

Deficit Deadlift - 5 sets of 235x4

Chest-supported Row - 90x10, 100x8 ,100x7, 100x7

Tricep Pushdown - 47x14, 47x14, 47x14

Seated Row - 110x14, 110x11, 110x7

Hammer Curl - 40x14, 40x14, 40x11

DAY 2

Rest & mobility

DAY 3

Rowing Machine - 5min warmup

Bench - 170x4, 140x3, 140x3, 140x9

Close-grip Bench - 5 sets of 115x4

OHP - 80x8, 80x8, 80x7, 80x8

DB Shrug - 130x14, 130x14, 130x14

Reverse Fly - 84x14, 84x14, 84x12

DAY 4

Rest & mobility

DAY 5

Deadlift - 275x4, 260x3, 260x3, 260x7

Front Squat - 5 sets of 145x4

Lat Pulldown - 125x8, 125x8, 125x7, 125x6

1-leg Extension - 55x14, 55x14, 55x12

1-arm ISO Lat Pulldown - 45x14, 45x14, 45x14

EZ-bar Curl - 50x14, 50x12, 50x9

Tricep Extension - 40x14, 40x14, 40x14

DAY 6

Rest & mobility

DAY 7

OHP - 115x4, 95x3, 95x3, 95x9

Incline Press - 5 sets of 125x4

Push Press - 100x8, 100x7, 100x6, 100x6

Tricep Pushdown - 49x14, 49x14, 49x12

DB Shrug - 140x14, 140x14, 140x13

Seated Incline Curl - 50x14, 50x10, 50x10

1-arm Tricep Extension - 15x14, 15x14, 15x14

I know this is a late response. This may be a program made for more advanced lifters and/or written by someone with much more experience and knowledge than I have. But it strikes me that you may be able to put on mass with something simpler and just focused on the big compound lifts. Starting strength / strong lifts / linear progression.

@nowhereman
  1. Train in the hypertrophy range, 10-15 reps per set, 3-5 sets per movement.
  2. Progressive overload. Always increase volume or weight, even if just by one rep, every session. I like to up my reps to 15, then increase weight.
  3. Recovery. Muscle is built in bed, not in the gym, and it takes longer as you age. Lifting 5 times per week with poor rest is not getting the full benefit of said lifting, try 2-3 workouts per week. Many common programs are designed for young men (or men on roids) with much faster recovery than you.
  4. Eat more protein, and calories in general. Even if you are resting enough, you need the excess calories and protein to build the muscle while you sleep.

@nowhereman Your 48. I'm there too. At 37 I was ripped doing what you're doing. At 48,I'm at the gym again and my expectations are low.

Your work out probably doesn't allow for recovery. I do 3 days a week right now and run almost daily. You won't gain 💪 by not allowing for muscles to recover. 5 days at your age might be overkill.

And you have not lost weight. That's diet.

@nowhereman It’s tough at your age naturally. Don’t have any advice to give but did just want to say you look good for 48 man. If I saw you I’d think you work out and take care of yourself.

@susejlx Thanks for that. I hang out a lot with younger cyclists, so I probably judge myself harsher than if comparing to the general population in their late 40s.

@nowhereman You’re 48, so it’s gonna take more to me. And you admit your diet could be tightened up. Your upper chest, shoulder girdle, traps, delts, arms…they all looks bigger and fuller. Get that diet right and you’ll see more results. If I could recommend any training plans, it would be Paul Carter’s hypertrophy plans on Train Heroic. He has monthly stuff or you can buy standalone. In and out in under 60 minutes, your joints will feel better, and you’ll still likely hit some noob gains switching over to a pure hypertrophy program. Keep it up! Good luck

@nowhereman What’s your end goal ? Putting on mass is going to be rough if you waited till 48 to start but not impossible

You names a bunch of powerlifting programs how much accessory hypertrophy work are you doing ?

doesn’t sound like you’re eating for mass man

Also the first two years you’re basically still in your newbie phase for a lot of people

28% added to PRs from the newbie phase is mostly adaption and not exactly actual muscle growth

Mass takes a long time, a lot of reps, and a lot of calories

Real noticeable mass if that’s your goal could take 3-5 years to put on and that’s someone in their 20/30s

Are you feeling a pump every workout ?

How is your form? Are you feeling actual
Stimulus in the muscle you’re targeting that day

If you want mass run a bodybuilding hypertrohpy focused program while bulking

@nowhereman Jacked and Tan is a great program, and you're doing the work. Here's the numbers. Someone who has finished their noobie gains and is bulking can expect to gain 0.5-1.0% strength improvement per week. That's 25-50% per year. That's what you got. Congratulations! You got objectively good results. Your old 1rms you can now do for a 3x10. So I think the problem is your perception of what good results are. I'd guess you want to see your muscles better. So lose some fat. Do a 2 months cut. 2 pounds a week. 15 pounds by the end of April.

@dekaewaii I thought he said 20-28% gains in 1RM for big lifts in the 2 years. Unless his baseline 1RM was already pretty high this is pretty sub par I would say for 2 years of training following actual programs, having been in a surplus (as he’s gained weight).

Back