When are we actually going to start talking fitness?

@jonathanxr I've been using this sub for a long time (haven't posted or contributed in a while, sorry!) and I'm having a hard time understanding your concerns. I've seen a number of posts about where to get protein, protein powder, bulking, and cutting. I myself posted ages ago about vitamins and foods to help with muscle recovery between workouts and received so many helpful responses. I use recipes I found on this sub (s/o to whoever came up with the red lentil "refried beans!" Those are a staple for me now!). And I love seeing people post photos of their progress on their fitness journey.

Can you clarify what you mean when you say someone eating 3,000-4,000 calories a day with 25% coming from mock meats isn't fitness? If that's all the info they give, I agree it's not terribly informative or useful information for others. But with context, that person might be a high level athlete who needs to eat that much to offset the calories they burn. I'm just not sure I understand this gatekeeping.

A Q&A could be helpful for this sub. Or even weekly stickied posts. But just scrolling through the first few pages, I don't see anything terribly off-topic from vegan fitness.

Edited to add: @jonathanxr has been private messaging me that I’ve misunderstood his post. I guess I have. So, @jonathanxr, please clarify your meaning here and stop privately accusing me of trying to argue with you. I have no interest in someone picking a fight with me via private message.

@godswill1 Re: first paragraph, I think OP is saying the opposite - this sub is filled with posts asking really basic things like “what protein powder do you use” or progress pics without any useful information. There are some useful threads but the average quality is pretty low and certainly much lower than nearly every other large fitness sub on reddit

@bluesky68 Personally, I like seeing content about what protein powders people use, what your meal planning strategies are for a cut or bulk, etc. I think that's super useful info that everyone has a different spin on. And honestly, there are new vegan protein powders coming out all the time. I love a good new product review.

What other fitness subreddits do you recommend? r/fitness has always seemed a bit too male dominated and focused on heavy weightlifting for my liking. Can't say I've done much digging for other communities because r/veganfitness ticks the boxes for me.

@godswill1 I guess I just see a lot of really low effort “what protein do you use” questions where the OP doesn’t add any value and it’s something that gets asked like 10x per week. It is helpful to learn about new products and stuff but the kind of posts I’m talking about are ones that could be solved with a quick search. The majority of posts from this sub that show up on my home feed are either that or progress pics that are mostly beginners or have little to no information in them which aren’t super interesting or useful to me either.

I’m a male powerlifter so my recommendations probably don’t apply to you haha but in general I think that /r/weightroom has done a good job over the past 2 years of encouraging really good content. You’ll regularly see posts that consist of scientific studies where the OP does a couple paragraph summary and takeaways and there is high level discussion. That kind of thing never happens here and not to be too negative but there are a lot of people that comment here that seem like they trickled over from /r/vegan but aren’t necessarily even that into fitness, but just repeat random broscience they’ve heard.

With all of that said, I’m not even that regular of a poster here and I’m just one person. I do love how encouraging people are here and I hope that never changes but that’s what I would change if it were up to me!

@bluesky68 I guess I’ve grown accustomed to sorting through this subreddit for the info I’m looking for. I’m very aware that vegan fitness is a really large bucket and I’m only interested in some of the content here. That doesn’t mean other content posted here is wrong! The amount of low effort posts here can get a little out of hand, but veganism AND fitness can both be challenging things for people to get on board with! I see the low effort posts as people to educate. I used to reply to those on this sub and r/vegan a lot more, but I’ve been slacking, lol. And I’m thrilled if people trickle over here from r/vegan. If this is the angle that helps introduce people to veganism and convince them they can be fit AND vegan, then that’s a good thing. I guess I’m of the mindset that this sub is for fitness buffs and newbies alike. It sounds like you (and @jonathanxr if I’m understanding correctly) would like more expert fitness discussion here. I agree that would be great! And I love the idea of guiding discussion here a bit more. But I guess my point was that we should also be more welcoming of people asking questions we already know the answers to.

Admittedly, I don’t use my home page often. So I go directly to the sub to browse. The low effort posts don’t seem to overtake the feed here, but maybe that’s just me looking past then.

Super curious to check out r/weightroom, btw. I’m a female dancer, so somewhat the opposite, but have been using more weights in my cross training the last year or so. I’m excited to learn more!

I also love the encouraging vibe here and hope that never changes! :)

@godswill1 I don’t think the two of us ever said we want experts in fitness only, as the two of us don’t even have a metric to base who is it isn’t an expert. Grovemou5 and I agree that it’s filled with nonsense and what would really be helpful, which I can see you’ve said below, would be a Q&A section which I have commented multiple times would help with that. Also not to take what was said in private messages into the open, but I don’t appreciate you painting this as an argument. I feel we were all having civil discourse and it seemed you just weren’t listening to all my points. I WANT to make this as inclusive as possible hence why I want to make this a valuable resource for intermediates and experts alike. I never once said this subreddit should be for experts only nor anything similar. I also apologized if thats what you thought I meant for that.

Bedsides this, I would love if the mods would get involved, this is a massive community. Although it seems they aren’t as into it anymore. And as I said I would love to help make this a place for anyone on any stage of their vegan lifestyle to find useful and quality information without having to sift through posts that hardly have to do with the topic.

@godswill1 Yeah totally fair! I think personally even having something like a daily thread for asking simple questions would help it not feel so overwhelming to me if that makes sense

@bluesky68 Honestly, I’d LOVE a daily questions thread. I think it would be easier to keep things organized here. Heck, even a weekly thread would be awesome. I browse those types of threads often on all the subs I frequent.

@braz Here's a sneak peek of /r/xxfitness using the top posts of the year!

#1: I went to a personal trainer that costs $6000 for 30 sessions....and holy fucking shit you guys....

#2: I started a new sub for women who want to show off their gains and cheer each other on!

#3: What I learned from lifting: you don't owe anyone anything, and you don't have to be nice.

[sup][sup]I'm[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]a[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]bot,[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]beep[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]boop[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]|[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]Downvote[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]to[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]remove[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]|[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]Contact[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]me[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]|[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]Info[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]|[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]Opt-out[/sup][/sup]

@jonathanxr Joined to see people talking fitness, diet plans, workouts, etc. Stopped keeping up with it because there's literally none of that here. Glad to see someone notices, but it would be better if this sub changed a bit and start talking about these things.

@scorcher007 I don't understand this kind of thinking. If that's what you wanted to see but you don't see it, why not get it started? Or at least ask questions?

The thing about workouts though is that they don't change just because you're vegan. So I don't see a point in making this sub focused on workout plans when that stuff already exists elsewhere and is 100% compatible with any vegan lifestyle.

@johnab Not workouts only. I am referring to topics that talk about how to get started with vegan fitness. What's a good meal plan for a M/F of age X? How do I do a lean bulk/bulk/cut while vegan?

For example, search "lean bulk" on here and see how many results you get...not many. 90%+ of them don't have any information on how to do so. I'd hate to compare, but when doing the same at r/leangains, you'll see what type of results you get. Tons of posts talking about meal plans, workout routines, etc.

That's what I'm referring to.

@scorcher007 Yeah I can understand that kind of stuff, which is why I didn't call it out. But it still doesn't address my criticism that if you want to see that content why not ask for it or create it yourself?

@johnab It's been asked before without successful replies/addressing. There are plenty of posts asking for similar advice. And without knowing myself, it's a bit hard to do so. Trying some dieting out at the moment, so for sure will make a thread about it after a while!

@scorcher007 What sort of diet plans? Cut, bulk, maintenance, wfpb, keto, zero sugar?

What sort of workouts? Powerlifting, bodybuilding, CrossFit, cardio, circuits, runner specific, functional fitness, etc.etc?

Do you see why just wanting "diet plans" and "workouts" is a bit silly? Because there is such a wide range of what people could want and posting a generic meal plan or workout would be literally of 0 use to 99% of the people here?

I don't get this criticism at all.

@jonathanxr So define fitness. Powerliftets have always been part of "fitness", and so have extrrmely flexible yogi. "Fitness" largrly means "I'm doing something else than sitting at a desk" these days.