Why don't men hire health coaches as much as women?

@eamonnroma A good coach is not cheap. Doesn't mean there aren't expensive scam artists out there as well.

One thing you could do instead is find an accountability group. I actually played around with this for a while by trying to create my own subreddit until I found out how hard that actually is.

Facebook (gasp) has some good ones. If not, local community is another good place to look.

I am a coach and I have a coach. It just really is hard to do alone. There is no shame in hiring someone to help you be a better person... although by half the answers on this post you'd think there is. Which is kind of what I was getting at it.

@gm0nkx Taking advice can be a sign of weakness. It's unfortunate. Why be taught to do something when you can go look up the information and teach yourself?

@chryssa1791 Yes I think about this a lot

And then there’s another layer. Some things are not a sign of weakness others are

For example:

Mechanic - used to be men had to do this. Now it’s more common to hire out

Accountant - becoming more common to hire

Etc

Nutrition and fitness seems to be one area where men are taking longer to come around

@gm0nkx I switched my target market to women which for whatever reason... Had more guys asking to work with me.

Unfortunately... Guys I've worked with are giant babies.

They disappear.

They don't like asking for help.

And they're the most resistant to change.

So I just stopped working with them and focus more on that 80% female demographic who isn't going to whine, cry, and complain. 😂🤷‍♂️

Guys struggle to ask for help but then they complain every step and I struggle to understand it myself.

@gm0nkx Did just fine into my 50's with obesity, high cholesterol, diabetes and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. Didn't need a coach then. Had a stroke and sh*t got real.

Checked into Gyms with coaches and availability, none were really close and most were expensive beyond just gym access (coaching).

Decided, home gym where it's right there!
  • Started with an inexpensive adjustable dumbbell set (5 to 30lbs each) and a weight bench.
  • Got a food plan from my physician recommended nutritionist (essentially high protein ~1g/lb with a balanced set of macros for carbs and fats).
  • Started exercising every day (Apple Fitness+, don't laugh it was a start). Moved over to free exercise plans online. So many give their splits and videos on how to do them, don't see the need to pay for an online course either.
Added to my equipment over time, small investment in an ez bar here and a dip station there. Saving $$$ over a gym membership and it's righ there when I roll out of bed.

Currently budgeting for a PowerRack/Smith machine setup that is pretty fully loaded for less than $1500 and supports more than I'll ever lift at my age.

My A1C went from 13 to 5.4, my daily BCG testing is in the 90 normal range. Blood pressure is fantastic, cholesterol HDL/Triglycerides are great and I've lost a lot of weight and gained serious lean mass (more muscles than in my youth). Wife of 30 years is over the moon with the results and I'm very comfortable in my skin. Very little concern of a future cardiovascular issue now.

I don't need a coach now either. I find that gym buddies and coaches are for the motivation. But the Grim Reaper had my back so to speak in the motivation department. What could a human being offer to provide more motivation than that?

@gm0nkx You already know the reason. Pride.

It's the same reason why group fitness classes are 80% women. Men think they should already know how to do these things so are too ashamed to admit they don't. Instead they'd rather swing a 20 lb dumbbell around swaying their back into it in the most inefficient manner possible for twice as long and a quarter of the return.

I see it every single day I'm at the gym, especially this time of the year.

Even the young guys who are actually dedicated to lifting, doing lat pulls engaging their arms first. So many movements. No idea what the form is and too prideful to take a class.

@lelalodavis I guarantee you - no one cares, no one.

Just consider the type of women who go to the gym in the first place... they are not intimidated by men. If they were at a CKO kickboxing or Barry's Bootcamp (those are targeted at women) sure.. maybe... but I'm assuming that isn't the case here.

@sharkbait13 Its not that i think theyd be intimated. I just....idk when i see things that, on the surface, are mostly made up of women, i feel like id be unwelcome as a big hairy bearded dude. Which sucks, because i get along way better with women than i do with guys. Women tend to be more accepting of a guy wearing mascara lol

@lelalodavis Okay, but this is an unfounded belief of how some might react rather than an objective view of how people actually do behave in practice. Almost everyone is just trying to get their workout on and don't give a shit. This is your insecurity - not trying to harsh and I'm sorry that you have it, we all do in some arena and some fashion and at some point. But, I think you already know of course it isn't a rational fear.

@sharkbait13 While i dont have experience with the workout groups, ive experienced this kind issue before in other settings. Its not completely unfounded. Ive struggled with this since highschool. Its not all women and not all groups. But this shit has happened

@lelalodavis Yeah I see your profile and I get it and sorry that has happened to you. Everyone gets distracted in group fitness - from the person breathing hard, grunting on every lift, from the hot chick / guy, or the person who dresses differently. The ideal thing is to notice your noticing, drop it, and refocus on what brought you to the class to begin with because it isn't them / that.

@lelalodavis It's funny because when I wrote that I was thinking of what others should do, but of course the implication is that we should all do it and therefore you should do it to. So regardless of whether you're distracted by something or believe others identify you as the distraction, it doesn't matter because the distraction exists.

But zooming out, it's intention setting, just like in yoga class.

I was benching earlier today and I was struggling. It was way earlier than I normally get to the gym. A few things weren't quite right (energy/caffeine level) and the excuses for failure were flowing in my head. I did one set and didn't get the reps I needed.

For some reason today though I just closed my eyes for a moment and asked why am I here, and listed out the reasons. It refocused me and I got through the workout.

I normally would only ever do this as a result of the teacher provoking me to do so in a yoga class as mentioned. But it came to me since I really really want to keep progressing on my bench press.

Finally maybe I've shed just barely enough of my ego that I can actually focus from time to time.

@sharkbait13 I very much want to do yoga classes. I find myself not pushing as hard as i could, and i think having someone keep me in check might help. My goal isnt so much getting bigger, but to be able to perform at my job better. Flexibility and overall strength and stability is my goal. Working out in the gym does help, but the flat ground, even weights and controlled movements dont translate well to my job. Yoga would help a lot

@gm0nkx Its hard to know the definite answer on that.
Here are a few thoughts on my experience on gyms

Most people dont really need a pt...
For a regular healthy person with no specific needs, going to the gym, running a litle and lifting some weights doesnt really require a pt. Ask some question to gym staff on how to use this and that machine when in doubt and no need to spend money on pt.

Why women do it more often? Good question....
Feel more insecure on gyms? Are less used to exercising? I also dont see often two or more women getting together to go to the gym as guys do. They mostly go by themselves, dont know why, so maybe they need the pt companion?

Back