Workouts for REALLY weak woman?

@yukonchris I love the calendar! And Kelli and Daniel are just so stinking wholesome and motivating and it makes working out with them so much easier. I tell errrybody about fitness blender, lol.

@yukonchris I love the calendar! And Kelli and Daniel are just so stinking wholesome and motivating and it makes working out with them so much easier. I tell errrybody about fitness blender, lol.

@dianad373 Every workout will be a struggle until you get stronger- that's how you get stronger! When I started running I couldn't even run for a minute, now I run 60-70km a week, and just did a sub- 2 hour half marathon. Also, you should know, with running you will always struggle if you want to always push your speed/ distance. But instead of struggling at a 6:30min/km pace, I struggle at a 5min/km pace- and the struggle no longer feels depressing. Running feels 'easy' at a 6min/km pace for me now, which helps getting through tough workouts.

@dianad373 I started out 3 years ago struggling with 5lb dumbbells...start slow and listen to your body. A lot of what I learned was from watching people in the gym and reading a bunch on here and other weightlifting websites!

@dianad373 Saaaaame here. I'm so weak and almost the same stats as you. But I'd really recommend lifting. You didn't mention your goals, but I'd try picking up some heavy stuff. I can't squat at the rack, so I'm doing kettle bell squats and dumbbell stuff and lemme just say, it's hard, but consistency is key! Lift something! Lift anything! Next week you'll be able to lift just a little bit more!

Sorry for the ! overload, I'm just happy to relate. Best of luck.

@dianad373 I’d recommend seeing a doctor or exercise physiologist first. Rule out conditions others have mentioned: chronic fatigue; asthma; anemia, etc.

Then start weightlifting very slowly. Baby steps like just using the weight machines at the gym, just read and follow the labels, or hire a trainer for one session to walk you through all the different machines and what they do. Practice doing 10 reps at a low weight, then next time increase the weight and do 10. If that’s too hard go back to the lower weight and do 20. You’ll start feeling stronger in no time!

@dianad373 Hi! Although your post seems geared towards running, it's good to do strength building exercises too. Try doing wall push ups and squats. Don't worry if you need to do a modified version of an exercise, just make sure that you do the right form! Form is key! It's a lot better to do fewer of an exercise right than a lot of an exercise wrong. Good luck!

Message me if you want to :)

I used to be a lot weaker than I wanted to. I could not do any push ups and I struggled with knee push ups. Eventually I got better and now I can do 8 in a row which to me is an accomplishment :)

@psmt45 I also always feel weak and unable to endure even short periods of running etc. but I started lifting weights six months ago and it’s been amazing. The thing with strength training is that a lot of rest is built into a workout - you’re not trying to go hard continuously, in fact it can be detrimental to do so, if you are a beginner. You do a set and you rest for at least a minute, sometimes more, after each set. For me, I found that that made all the difference between strength training and any other kind of exercise I’ve ever tried to do - I can push myself for the relatively short time it takes to do my set, and then rest afterwards. Then I’m very ready to do my next set.

Obviously cardio endurance is a whole different thing to strength training and I’m still not as on top of that as I should be, but even without doing much cardio, I do notice that my day to day ability to walk and run has improved just because my body is stronger overall.

If you want to try a good beginner’s strength program, Strong Curves is the best. It’s great at easing you in without getting overwhelmed, but lets you progress in a way that you feel rewarded.

@dianad373 Sit on a low chair, then stand up without using your arms. As this gets easier move your backside closer and closer to the edge until it’s just barely touching. Eventually you’ll be able to move through the range of motion for a squat.

For running, I started doing 20 minute walks with 30 second slow jogs every 5 minutes. Eventually it gets easier to add 10 seconds. Then once you get your 20 minutes you can add extra time... or start speeding up!

@dianad373 No problem! Also I agree with the comment saying r/bodyweightfitness is a good resource. Check out their recommended routine. They have progressions so basically you do a 'lighter' version of the exercise until you master it and move on to the next version.

Something like wall pushups --> incline push ups --> knee push ups --> full push up

I don't know the progressions for squats but if squats are too hard you could try holding onto a table or doing mini squats.

@dianad373 Hi there, I was summoned by /@confusedremainingfaithful

Try my bodyline drills. I hold for 60secs but the goal is to hold for only as long as you can, and rest until I start the next exercise. Eventually you'll get to 60secs.

And definitely watch my video on how to do pushups, to learn the proper form for pushups to avoid injury and why knee pushups aren't good and incline pushups (wall to floor) are the way to go.

@fromgenesistorevelation /@ceaser listen to /@fromgenesistorevelation, I was in the same boat (could do... maybe 1 wall pushup when I was almost vertical) tops and started just by doing the bodyline drills in his video. Then when I got stronger I started doing the main beginner's routine on /r/bodyweightfitness at the absolute beginner level and it worked out great :)

Back