“Renaissance periodization has jumped the shark” - Alex Bromley. Any thoughts on this video?

@mm1992 If you just look at RP's recent videos that's pretty clearly not true. They definitely do more entertainment/bait videos recently, but even then only 3 out of the last 10 videos would fall under that category.

@lovely_krystal86 GVS is an absolute gem and just gives tips based off his experience yet is still aware of the science. But also doesn't over rely on things the science says given the limitations. I've followed some of his "non-optimal" tips in the past like going back to the short rope for Triceps extensions etc. and it's worked very well for me.

I have no idea why people here worship Dr Mike, I assume it's because he's likeable and funny in videos, definitely not his content/expertise/advice/accomplishments/nonsense.

@livingme7 It was only 2-3 years ago I was on r / fitness and similar routines were still being treated like a requirement. This industry is all over the place with BS online.

@helen2002 He is very charismatic and uses "cult following" tactics. I'm not saying he is ill intentioned or anything like that, but he is very smart and knows what the fuck he is doing.

@tay796 He's very smart with growing his online business and being a cult leader, he's set the standard for how to rapdily grow a content platform. Unfortunately this is to the determent of the followers with clickbait and contrarian takes to stay relevant.

@lovely_krystal86 There are many young guys in my gym who you can tell take Dr Mike's advice too seriously. Going way too light to achieve perfect form every rep. One thing they all have in common is they're skinny, so it's something I've been thinking about for a while

@systematiker I feel like this is fair. I’m almost 40 and I really like mikes focus on form and injury minimization because I feel the wear and tear these days. I’m doing his hypertrophy program now but I was already carrying a lot of muscle when I started and able to push fairly decent amounts of weight with good form, just backed it up slightly to reach the rep/set ranges. It’s fucking me to be honest. But I do think less experienced people in gym might have a harder time identifying when they truly only have one or two reps in reserve.

@unknown404 His programs are based on 10RMs too, don't know why everyone is talking about low weights here since if you are doing a RP program you will be working around the 8-14 rep range, perfectly normal. He just says you should never do cheating reps and go full rom, the slow tempo stuff with low weight is not a rule and mostly something he does for himself and his videos.

@systematiker They dont really take him very serius. Because they have listened to anything he said.

He specifically tells beginners (the 3-5 first years of hard training) to do mostly high stimuli exercises with heavy weight and not that masturbation bullshit.

@rogerstees What’s the stuff beginners should avoid? Slow eccentrics? Pauses in the stretched position? I’m seriously asking and not trying to be rude.

Also, I thought it’s more important for beginners to use perfect form since they won’t have to correct sloppy technique later on (when it’s harder to unlearn something you’ve been doing wrong for years).

@auxier587 I dont really think beginners should avoid anything. I think they should do a wide array of movement patterns that they enjoy and are able to load and progress on.

Training for hypertrophy or strength or probably anything else or even in business is all about removing your current blockers/bottle necks.

As a beginner you dont have any blockers you just progress.

When you start drowning in fatigue because you train to hard or have to much axial fatigue one way to solve the problem is switching focus more on SFR instead of stimuli magnitude.

@rogerstees You could argue that training to failure is not important for beginners. Newbies can gain muscle without training close to failure. Instead they should focus on tempo and developing correct neuromuscular pathways.

Back