10 Things I've learned in my almost 20 years of bodybuilding

@jannieb 3 days of starvation and 1 day of binging.... bruh that’s an eating disorder (binge, restrict) but I agree with almost everything else you wrote...

@dtran I wouldn't classify approx 2,000 calories as starvation here (it definitely feels like it though lol).... But it works.
Maybe once we get out of this Corona funk I'll rethink it but this has been working for a while.

@jannieb For an adult man who trains and has a pretty decent amount of muscle, I would say that 2000 calories is starvation and is probably also the reason you feel the need to eat so much (especially of unhealthy foods) since it is just your body’s way of telling you that it’s in a big deficit and needs a lot of calories quickly. So you binge, then you restrict, binge, restrict and so on. And yes that is actually an eating disorder. To put this in perspective I’m a 93 pound active girl and I need 2000 calories to maintain my weight (yes, I count macros, and I do so very precisely) so it’s obvious that by the third or fourth day of eating what a 93 pound girl should be eating, your body is STARVING AF! But if you actually just found the middle ground (not restrict, binge) and ate to maintain while eating reasonable amounts of treats and made them fit into your calories, you wouldn’t feel the need to eat 8 donuts and a pizza. You might still want to eat 1 donut and 1/2 of a pizza once in a while, and then you just fit it in to your calories. Balance and moderation is key!!! Also look into Greg doucette on YouTube! Guy has some really good advise, especially about this kind of stuff (moderation, balance and how to not diet like a yo-yo) have a nice day and feel free to leave another reply!

@jannieb This is amazing and enlightening, I’m just getting into this seriously and I can not describe how helpful this is, thank you

@jannieb I'm 5'10 and 195#. Still have some fat around mid section, haven't seen abs ever. Been lifting for 3 years, 5 days a week the last 18 months. Goal is to get 17" arms and a six pack. I'm at 16" currently. Should I cut while doing my normal PPL routine until I see abs and hit ~180#? Do I need to add some intense cardio?

Thanx :D

@dawn16 Its hard to give any insight without knowing your diet... But it will be very very very hard to add an extra inch to your arms while cutting to get abs. But if it makes you feel better... Your arms will look bigger the leaner you get even if they are the same size or smaller lol. Lol
No reason to change your ppl routine while you are cutting... As for adding cardio, that depends on your diet!

@jannieb Thanks for your story. I’m 41 and just started weight training. I’m 5’11’ and was a chubby/fat 215. I hurt all over. My back, shoulders, hips. I changed my diet and got down to 185. It gave me the motivation to try exercise. The first 3 months I didn’t think I would make it. I had a good trainer who helped keep me focused and going. After 3 months, conditioning started actually working and things felt different. I’m still conditioning but I can finally squat and lunge and my shoulder chest and neck have opened up. I look good,!its weird.

People ask me how far I’m going to go. If I’m going to compete. It’s flattering. I’m not ready yet, but I think I could be by summer but it’s not the goal. Perfect body is the goal.

1 year or less guys. If a 41 year old person who never exercised can do it, I bet most others can too. Find you a good experienced workout buddy. Or go to the gym until you do. Or hire a trainer. Make it the top priority for yourself. Your health. Your esteem. It’s good for all that interact with you.

You’re a good example OP.

@dawn16 Awesome story!!!! Search for a bodybuilder named Neal Grossman, he is a good friend and was a mentor of mine at one point. He started seriously weight training at 55 and then started competing at 60.... He was beating people in their 20's!!!

Age is just a number!!
Thank you for sharing your inspiring story!! And take it to the very end lol