22 ( f ) morbidly obese starting to work out advice

@santoscarmina1674 When you are walking don't worry about how far you go but how long you go. Build up for 20-30-45-60 minutes eventually. As you start lifting weights, you'll feel like you hit a plateau and aren't losing any weight, you'll be putting on some muscle and muscle is much more dense than fat. You're still on the right track so don't give up. Muscle burns fat so keep at it and eventually the muscle gains will start burning more and more fat.

There's a really good YouTube channel called MegSquats, she does a lot of female tailored exercises and nutritional videos

@santoscarmina1674 @fringeish on Instagram is a fat person who teaches yoga with a focus on accommodating your body size, shape, and any limitations you may have. For example, doing forward folding poses without having to squish your belly too hard, or doing squat poses without putting too much pressure on your knees. Their videos are a great starting place for moving and stretching especially if traditional yoga teachings don’t seem to be working for you!

@santoscarmina1674 Huge congrats on starting your journey. A little every day is the best - so don’t stress about doing everything every day for hours (you could burn out). You’re building new habits so give it time and focus on being consistent.

As others said - walking is really amazing. I understand you have a cane so it will take time. It’s great because it’s low impact and works your biggest muscle groups (legs) and even core for stability.

For weights - consider going heavier. It should be a workout. Most people’s backpacks or purses weigh 5kgs or more and they wouldn’t consider that a workout weight. I don’t want to recommend a specific weight cause I’m not sure where you’re at - but just keep in mind it should work your muscles. Big side note - be very careful with form especially as you get really heavy weights. Maybe for now aim for like “medium heavy”. I personally love kettle bells. Maybe look for a mid-weight one and see. As you get more able, kettlebells are fun to flip and swing and stuff.

@santoscarmina1674 Mobility is important! Make sure you're getting in stretches for all parts of your body, and take it one day at a time. If in doubt, don't overwork yourself--there's that urge to go "above and beyond", but straining yourself can be more of a setback than having a low-productivity day. I admire your drive, and I wish you the best!

@santoscarmina1674 I would tell you to work with a team of nutritionist, endocrinologist and general dr. to formulate a diet tailored to you given your condition.

And as for excercise you should keep doing whatever you already like and make some progress there, as long as it doesn't hurt your joints.

@santoscarmina1674 What you do matters less than consistency. Consistency is everything. Commit to moving your body in some way every single day. Remember, it takes about a month for something to become habit. Don’t allow for excuses. Walking is a great way to start. You’ve got this!

@santoscarmina1674 (Personal Trainer) As others have mentioned walking is good. Specially do so outside on a flat surface but since you require a stick I will recommend to not do so for long periods of time and stick to 10-20 minutes. Another option is on treadmill (not elevated) and use side supports as needed but do your best to not use them and for closer to 8-15 min.

Other exercises will depend on precisely what you are capable of. Planks, position switching from high to low to high plank will be great to start for your core muscles.

Ball tosses will help with your stability and should be the main focus to help you get off of requiring a stick. Either with yourself bouncing a ball off a wall or (more ideally) having someone toss the ball to you starting at being tossed towards your center of mass and then tossing just off on the side and gradually increase how far out you must reach to catch the ball. This assumes you can stand ok without a stick. Otherwise instead of catching on one side just hit the ball and switch every so often.

I do not recommend a stationary bike or machine equipment. Not until you gain more mobility.

Those are what I will recommend for you to focus on but getting a trainer who can do an assessment for you even if its only tempered would be very helpful. Maybe even ask if the trainer has experience with clients of your weight. Your flexibility and stability/balance should be your focus for the first 3-5 months.

@santoscarmina1674 Hey OP, you mention using walking sticks right now and as someone who is currently nursing tendonitis from long term crutch/walking stick use I just want to say be mindful of not overdoing it.

Walking is fantastic as a low impact form of exercise, but for me personally (please consider talking to a medic or physiotherapist for advice on your case) my love of walking/hiking while using crutches has resulted in issues that have lasted years.

Can I recommend something that I found helpful when I couldn’t walk unaided?

Water based workouts. Going to a pool and walking (if this is possible for you) lengths of the pool for as long as you can. This has a few benefits:

1) pools have a side you can use for balance/support if required

2) the water will help you support your own weight

3) the water provides resistance which will give you good bang for your buck.

Equally you could use armbands/floats to do resistance work in the pool, similar to weights. Water is a gentle and wonderful way to build up stamina and provide resistance without risking injury or gradual damage.

Our situations may be different but as someone who has been on a long term health journey myself and made mistakes that I’m regretting now, my heart went out to you ❤️

You have got this, sending you the best wishes 💪

@carmellagarrett Im really hoping not to have to use my stick forever, I’ve got balance issues and chronic pain from fibromyalgia which has gotten worse over the last year or so. My weight definitely has not helped that at all. There’s a local swimming pool near me and I’m wanting to get back into swimming as I loved it as a kid. Thank you for the advice it’s really helpful, especially since I don’t know a lot of people my age that use a stick so I’ve been a little embarrassed

@santoscarmina1674 I’m sure the stick won’t be a forever thing, my friend ❤️ but while you have it, please be careful. I know how rough it can be on the joints!

Fibromyalgia and PCOS is a rough battle to fight, but you have the mentality and you’re going to win.

The pool was a game changer for me to be honest, and if you love swimming and would want to be there anyways, then I think this will be perfect for you too.

I know the feeling, I had a friend who used a wheelchair so I could ask her about stuff when I was wheelchair bound, but long term crutch/walking stick use is isolating and many don’t understand.

If you have the option, can I suggest getting a physiotherapist too? Pain management especially while on a health journey can be difficult, but a physio might be able to help and give you exercises that won’t inflame anything but will be effective in building the required strength and stamina as you progress.

@santoscarmina1674 So first you want to be on a colorific deficit of about 500kcal. Then you can starting working out, i dont raccomand hypertropya and i would choose light intensity cardio that dont make you fell hungry after.
I would eliminate any fast foods and iper processed foods (idk what you eat in usa im italian)
Anyway starting working out is a very good decision and dont fell ashemed to go in a gym (lots of skinny or fat people thinks they would be juodicate).
And thats it, have good luck :)

@santoscarmina1674 I started by walking. 240lbs at 14 male. Started with around the block to get fresh air. As my broken collar bone healed I started to ride my bike. Around the block a few times, then the neighborhood. Found a decent loop that was about 3 miles. Took me an hour to start. Time for my mind to unwind and fresh air. Then I did my loop once, then up to twice then three times. Each time increasing the gears to make it harder.

Took about 1 year to get to that point. Then I started to weight lift on top of biking. Took about 2 years to get from 240 down to 190.

And boy, did it feel great! Keep it up, be consistent, and add things here and there along the way. I'm even getting back into shape after college now and it's great. Keep it up. Don't be afraid of people in gyms, ask for help and you will get it. You may even make a few friends along the way.

Cheers!

Ps I hear you on the medical side. I have asthma bad, and the meds I take for anxiety have weight gain as a side effect. It's still possible and I knoticed that the more healthy I am, the less my medical conditions impact me.

Also I would take my worst day being healthy over my best day being obese.