48M kind of disappointed in 2-years' gym progress. Maybe I need some help

@faithinjesus777 I recommend checking out Geoffrey Verity Schofield's content on youtube or just buy his ebook Sweat. GVS is an excellent source for natty bodybuilding content. The book outlines a number of exercises and which ones give you the best bang for the buck in terms of muscle growth.

Jeff Nippard has good videos too, with videos for different muscle group focuses.

@nowhereman See my original response to your post. Your increases are close to what I achieved in Phraks Greyskull LP but I did it in about a quarter of the time and started with a much lower squat and DL. I went from about 150>215 bench, 80>135 OP, 200>280 squat, and 240>330 DL.

Simplify your training: squat, bench, OP, deadlift, and rows or pull ups. Do legs, press, and back 3x a week with those.

People suggesting hypertrophy aren't wrong and I'm only making the suggestions I am because I think you have more beginner strength gains to unlock.

https://physiqz.com/workout-routine...lp-best-powerbuilding-routine-beginners-gslp/

Get your protein in, eat like a madman, and do it for a few months until you can no longer consistently add weight. Then switch towards hypertrophy training. I'm currently doing a 4 day split: 2 uppers and 2 lowers alternating with compounds at sets of 8 and accessories at sets of 10-12 and I'm seeing good progress.

May the barbell gods be with you.

@nowhereman I eat a balanced diet, but not super healthy. Let's just say better than the average American.

There's your answer, its 80% your diet. You probably need to lift heavier too. The average American is fat as F. You really need to cut out sugar and bread and shit like that to see any real results.

@nowhereman Hey there! I wanted to jump on this comment because I feel you are still underestimating how much diet has to do with gains as well.

It’s unfortunately important to have the right combination and number of calories if you are really trying to go for gains mostly. The kitchen portion isn’t as much fun as the workout portion, but it is indeed going to be the difference maker (aside from age/genetics).

I was able to do this at 37 years old as a total beginner lifter (no cardio, but tracking calories and macros) and am currently starting to get back into it at 41. I was able to lose fat and make significant gains in a pretty short amount of time.

Give it a try, even if just for two months and see if you can spot the difference after!

@hishealinglove You did that as a beginner?! That’s crazy impressive. You looked about as muscular in your before picture as no I do after 3+ years of lifting! And you’ve got a few years on me! Did you have any kind of athletic background prior, or was it all just having a good diet?

@james5086 Hey!

First of all, I just want to clarify that the pics are from when I was 36 (before picture) and 37 (after picture). I am currently 41 and just working at it again.

I was not an athlete, no. I did do one of those DVD video series the year before (what was the MMA fighter one?) for 8 weeks, but that was it.

I just decided I wanted to at least once in my life have a six-pack, which I almost got to (more of a 4-pack) and was very strict in the kitchen. That really was the difference maker. I am talking egg white protein oatmeal, chicken and rice, sweet potatoes and eggs were almost my entire meals. I never went hungry, though!!

And although I did two upper lift days and two lower every week, my long legs did not show muscle gain because my genetics are just not there (I am 5’7.5” and my legs are the same length as my 6’2” husband’s). But I always made sure and did the maximum I could lift for three sets of 6. No excuses.

Best of luck in your journey!

@hishealinglove That’s so impressive! And I would absolutely say you can count that as a six pack! I would be super proud of that!! Your diet at that time sounds like my current lunch and breakfast, but dinner is my eat whatever I want time haha I have considered being strict about more but decided it’s not for me, at least right now.

If you don’t mind, I’m just curious, you said you’re getting back into it now. Did you stop exercising completely or just go off the diet, and what made you decide to get back into it?

@james5086 Yes, I did stop completely for 4 1/2 years. I was completely burnt out about the October after that “after” picture. My diet was sugar and bread because I love those things.

I am now looking at being over 40, which will make it harder to get back into shape, but my metabolism still seems to be the same. I also don’t have to run all over for my kids anymore since one of them can now drive, so I am a lot less active overall and have about 15 lbs. extra, which is the biggest I have been in my life (I wear it well since I am fairly tall, so people still call me skinny). Gonna take longer this time around thanks to my laziness. Wish me luck! Lol

Edit: Oh, sorry, I decided it was time because I feel like crap and I look like crap. I want me energy back and want to feel confident, and for me, that always includes having a flatish stomach, so that is why I am finally kicking myself back into gear.

@james5086 Thank you!! 🥰 Yes! That is my problem. I am unfortunately a 100% in or out kind of person and it came to kick me in the ass. 😂 Don’t be me and make moderation and balance a part of your life instead!

@hishealinglove Hahaha for some things that is very useful! I bet you are very successful at most things you try! I hope you are able to make some time and enjoyment for yourself too this time around! You definitely deserve it with all the hard work you put in!

@kenniel I have been looking all over trying to find the exact stuff (I used MyFitnessPal back then, which won’t let me access the info anymore now that it is behind a paywall, and I searched FB messages etc. where I might have shared with some of my friends).

I do know I went with 40/40/20, I just don’t know what the exact calorie intake was. I seem to remember it being 1950 (after workout deduction, so usually I would eat about 2200), but don’t quote me on that. I was just very strict and limited dairy aside from eggs (and egg whites where possible) and Greek yogurt for protein powder shakes. Lots of oatmeal and chicken rice. I wish I could give you the details, I am so sorry.
I am 5’7.5” F and never bothered with a scale as I was losing fat, but gaining muscle, and always seemed to stay around 145ish the entire time.

Edited to add: I did four lift days a week. Two upper and two lower. Usually about 30-45 minutes. No cardio. Started with 3 sets of 10, later went to sets of 6 as heavy as I could complete. Each workout would usually have 6-8 different exercises.

@hishealinglove That’s encouraging. I just started lifting and am eating 1750 and my weight has jumped up from 188lbs to 195lbs but also I’m starving since I’m in the gym 5 days a week now. 😰

It better freaking go down. I can’t handle eating less.

@kenniel 5 days a week seems like you could be doing too much, too? Rest is important, especially if you are doing weightlifting. (And my calorie intake was based on my fitness goal of muscle growth, but I didn’t want to just do straight up bulking without losing fat, so intake was neither super low nor super high.)

I honestly never went hungry. But I did have an idea of how many calories are in what because I stuck to eating the same stuff. I had a protein shake only on lift days. (Greek yogurt with frozen strawberries and protein powder because straight up protein shakes are nasty.) Just do be careful with fat intake, even good fats (avocados, almonds, peanut butter, etc.). They will sneak up on you and keep you from losing if you are not careful.

Best of luck, you got this!!

Back