48M kind of disappointed in 2-years' gym progress. Maybe I need some help

@nowhereman I’d do a few things, first off, I’d do less time in the gym. I’m almost 54 and I spend 3 days a week in the gym, usually an hour or less each time. Those are lifting days, I walk on the off days, just outside, casually while listening to podcasts. Secondly, use an app that tracks calories. You don’t look like you’re keeping track of it. Lastly, make sure you are getting good sleep. Sleep is underrated, especially as we age. I’m in the best shape of my life.

@nowhereman Sounds like your diet is the issue.

If you’re not tracking calories, your body isn’t going to change much. You need a calorie deficit to get leaner or a surplus to drive muscle growth. Thought from your pictures I don’t think you should be in a surplus.

After that you need to be eating somewhere between .7g to 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight or you’re wasting effort training and wasting gains.

What and how you’re eating is more important than how you’re training.

@nowhereman Diet diet diet. Also, do you drink? One of my close friends has a strikingly similar body type to you. He’s been doing CrossFit for years, lifts very heavy, like strong man stuff. It wasn’t until he cut the booze entirely that all of a sudden, all the inflammation around his muscles melted off. He got a six pack in like 2 weeks. It was always there. Just hiding beneath a layer of fat. His stomach before looks almost identical to your pics.

But also, diet. Consider a clean diet - nothing processed.

@nowhereman Try this for a month and half and see if you see a difference. Changing up the workout once in a while can help with body composition. Weighted dips, pull ups and goblet squats. 3 sets of the 8 for the dips and pull ups. 2x8 for squats, 1 at to failure. Start with no weights until you can 3x8, then add a few pounds. Just these exercises everyday or every other day. Give it a month and see if you see body changes, keep it going if you like what you are seeing.

Back