[52 F] Weighted Overhead Barbell Squats = Fall, go boom

ihavetwofeet41

I'm 52F and just started lifting. I have been attending a group strength class 3x p/ week for the past six weeks. Total beginner. Today I was doing overhead squats with a 35# bar 8x 4 sets. On the last set, I pushed myself to go faster, and I fell over on the last rep. I landed on a rubber carpet. No injuries, just wounded my pride.

But I had the sobering realization that my overhead strength and stability are pretty shitty. I'm the only woman in a class of predominantly 30-40 yo M. And I hate to poorly represent older women in such a setting. It's also a bit lonely. I do love the coaches, but they are also 30-40 yo M.
  • I'm wondering what you would do in a similar situation.

Would you work on overhead strength and stability at home? If so, what would you do?

Or, would you drop the group class and work out on your own until you could get into the shape you needed to get up to speed in a group class?

Or, would you get a private lifting coach? Even online?

Or, would you work harder to try and find a group class with people of a similar demographic?
I'm so new to lifting, I hate to feel discouraged from the start, but I do also need to be realistic about my age and fitness level.

Your thoughts and experienced feedback appreciated.

@ihavetwofeet41 Nothing to do with your strength or the fact your a woman etc in this course. I would say most of the people including yourself should not really be doing such a course as a beginner that include complex movement patterns and a lot of instability. You should develop a good foundation of training and understanding how to properly perform many more basic strength movements first and foremost. Then you can get coached for the olympic lifts if you want to take it further and go into crossfit/olympic lifting down the road. To produce force you have to learn to lift from "stable platforms" this will give your brain a green light to fire some muscle up for you. I would focus quite strongly on standing overhead press, regular back squats, high bar and low bar, and deadlifts. Also you should learn how to bench. All of these lifts done to a certain level of proficiency will greatly increase your understanding of how to produce force, and how to create a stable environment with your body. Also you should not feel embarrassed at all, if you were doing as well as all the men they would be extremely embarrassed :D

@ihavetwofeet41 I'm 35 and fell over a few times when I first started doing overhead squats 2.5 years ago. It just takes more practice

I found practicing at home with a broomstick handle really helped me figure out the right technique

@ihavetwofeet41 I agree with the other commenters here who recommend you follow your intuition to move carefully, not in sync with the recommended class pace. What you describe about the situation sounds like a recipe for injury.

FWIW I (F, age 55) have found that younger male instructors are usually agreeable to giving me modifications--it's the younger women who treat me as an irredeemable malingerer for not falling into lockstep with the rest of the class.

Don't fret about representation; aren't we older women alleged to be invisible anyway?! :p

@ihavetwofeet41 I'm 36F and I still fall with an empty bar at overhead squats! They are SO HARD!!! It is NOTHING like front or back squats so don't give up!!
If you feel like you can approach the coach, ask him for tips or on what to work on. As someone else said, record your lift and post form check videos.
Either way, I'm impressed by anyone being able to overhead squat! You pulled off 3 sets!!! You rock girl! Be proud!

@ihavetwofeet41 My 59 year old mother-in-law doesn't do any lifting, so when she falls over she breaks bones. Keep lifting! Build that bone density! Strengthen your joints! Don't be like my MIL!