[52 F] Weighted Overhead Barbell Squats = Fall, go boom

@ihavetwofeet41 Overhead press has always been my slowest progressing lift. I struggled to do 3 reps when I first started with only the bar (45 lbs)!

Now I’m able to do 100 lbs for 7-8 reps, just give it time.

@ihavetwofeet41 Overhead squats are one of the most challenging movements IMO. Even without any weight, OH squats challenge your mobility and balance as few other movements do. 8x4 sets with a 35# barebell is a lot! Don't feel embarrassed, you're killing it!

@ihavetwofeet41 +1 to the good advice from earlier posters and adding that in group classes, you can always (and should ask) for regressions. Good coaches should provide regressions to help people scale their workouts appropriately. Overhead squats are a technical weightlifting movement and challenging for anyone! Is there a training bar (10kg) you can use with some lighter/wider bumper plates? Also if you know the programming in advance and your schedule allows, you can always show up 15 minutes earlier to do a more comprehensive warmup & mobility routine to prep for overhead work. I love GMB's content and they have a pretty solid breakdown on improving your OH squat mobility.

@marvindy hey, awsm link. thank you.

(i was using the training bar - *laugh/sob* it's 35lbs - i got out some 2.5s and 5s hoping i could go heavier this week as i've been steady at 35 for three weeks now, probably why i was pushing speed)

@ihavetwofeet41
i was using the training bar - *laugh/sob* it's 35lbs

The bar I use for anything overhead is 15 pounds. Yes, I add some weight but I don't start at 35 pounds.

Let your ego sit this one out and take pride in what you've already accomplished. There's more to come!

@ihavetwofeet41 A true training bar is usually 15 lbs. “Female” barbells are 35 lbs and smaller to grip than the “male” 45 lbs bar. I’m really impressed you were doing barbell overhead squats as a beginner, definitely give yourself some credit :)

@ihavetwofeet41 I have nothing to add but I just want to say that you’re an inspiration to me! (32F, hopefully finding the mental strength/confidence to join a gym soon). I hope you keep crushing it!!

@ihavetwofeet41 I’m also a female in my 50’s (older than you!) I have had 2 personal trainers, bought a package from the gym, with one on one time. Best thing I ever did. It’s easy to get hurt, it’s easy to lift wrong. On the flip side building muscle feels amazing, and is the best anti-aging (well for me anyway) so I applaud you in every way for taking this step and giving yourself this time and effort!
The trainers will build workouts specifically for you, and will show you proper technique, breathing, and how to build up in a safe way for your own progress. Good luck, you got this!

@ihavetwofeet41 You completed them all until the last set when you pushed the pace.

Absolutely DON'T quit the class. Overhead squats are not easy. Post a form check, there are likely comments we can make to assist. Overall though, sounds like you just weren't ready for that speed. Focus on slow controlled reps, increase strength, and THEN focus on speed during workouts.