[52 F] Weighted Overhead Barbell Squats = Fall, go boom

@ihavetwofeet41
Absolutely DON'T quit the class.

I agree with @twinmama. I'm a 62 y/o female doing CrossFit and I suck a lot at anything overhead. Overhead squats are of the devil, I'm convinced, followed closely by most snatches and jerks.

I'm doing them anyway. My goal is perfect form, then I will be able to add more weight safely.

This is the way we can age safely and stay strong enough to take care of ourselves as the years roll on.

PS today's workout was a metric ton of deadlifts (which I love), hang power cleans (which I've greatly improved) and push jerks (at which lets be honest, I still suck). I'm going to be sore tomorrow from the push jerks, even with my small weight. I did them correctly though so I'm stoked.

@ihavetwofeet41 Well, if it makes you feel any better, last year when I was 22 I fell backward, heels over head off of a workout bench! I now have a private personal trainer at my gym which has been pretty helpful. If I were you I’d say maybe doing something like that would be helpful, and finding a female trainer specifically might make you feel more comfortable as well, not sure how many there are in your age range but I do think gender of the coach can make a difference in how well they’re able to understand you and your physical limitations.
If you’re able to keep your cool in your class and just be ok at going at your own pace, I feel like staying in it also a good idea. You’ll still improve as long as you’re pushing yourself relative to your own abilities, so try your best not to compare yourself. I’m 23 and often have to modify exercises that it seems like I “should” be able to do, and while it may mean my progress is slower, I definitely am getting a lot better compared to my baseline. Slow and steady wins the race!
If you could even find something like a Facebook group for ladies in your demographic who are into lifting that could also help I’m sure! But that’s seriously awesome that you’re even willing to try and stick with something new when so many other people let that intimidate them!