Comprehensive lululemon Legging Guide for an Ex-Employee

@silkybunny Thank you so much for your informative reply! You’re really going above and beyond to help people, I appreciate it and your recommendation. Classic black is my favorite too, so now I know what I’ll get next time I’m at lululemon :)

@silkybunny Are there any fabrics and styles that would be especially well-suited for lifting? I guess I wonder if there’s any reason as a lifter to pay a premium for Lululemon leggings if their fabrics and styles are specifically designed for yoga, Pilates, and cardio. Seems like it might be a waste if you don’t use them for those purposes.

@reggiekatt I have this same question. When I wear the size I’m supposed to be, the leggings that are meant for training according to the tag are see through on squats and deadlifts. When I size up, fabric bunches around my crotch, knees and ankles, and they’re still see through. I’ve been wearing Constantly Varied Gear instead and recently ordered some leggings from Girls Who Powerlift too.

@gasser I have this problem too, and I found gymshark to be pretty good. I think because their aesthetic is more for "curves/thick thighs" as opposed to the "yoga body/thigh gap" look. The waist is tighter which is great for those of us with a bigger waist to hip ratio.

@reggiekatt I like the Speed Up crops for lifting because 1. There's a pocket for my phone which I track my sets and rests, 2. They're completely squat proof- totally opaque, 3. I like the way the compression feels even though I'm not jumping around, it's nice to feel held in! They're also cheaper than the All the right places ones.

@reggiekatt I'm a big fan of the Fast and Frees (Nulux) for lifting/weights work, even though they are 'meant' for running. Wunder Unders give more compression than the F&F, but the F&F has enough for me to be comfy while also being very lightweight and breathable, and also having large pockets and a drawstring waistband.

@reggiekatt I’ve only ever worn the All the Right Places leggings for lifting so admittedly I don’t have anything to compare them to, but I’ve been very happy with them. I can wear them a couple times without needing to wash and they’re not gross, despite sweating. I’ve treated them well (hang dry only) and despite lifting in them 3 days a week for a year, they are still great with no real sign of wear.

@reggiekatt I have 3 pair of leggings made of luon and they have been just perfect in weightlifting to be honest. BUT they were from 2011 when the luon fabric was a litle different - I think the "full on luon" comes the closest. When I was smaller (and they were looser) they weren't as compressive so I did yoga in them mostly, and actually used luxtreme leggings more for lifting because it was more skin-tight and compressive). But my legs grew a bit and the luon felt snuggly well after a bit.

Do not lift in aligns. too soft and delicate, waist falls down, legs fall down. Had to return mine.

@reggiekatt Honestly, they’re all pretty fine for lifting depending on how warm you get. I wear the aligns a lot, and they’re totally reasonable for strength training. Wonder unders can be a little heavy if you get sweaty. Otherwise, personal preference.

@reggiekatt I think any legging that is good for "training" is good for lifting. In the tights I mentioned above specifically, Wunder Unders (in Luxtreme), Train Times, and All the Right Places (these are esp popular among gym-goers) are great for lifting.

When it comes to lifting, you can ideally wear any pant in Luxtreme fabric, which is a fabric designed for anything that falls under technical activity. The only tights I would say are "specifically designed for x" are the ones that have a more delicate fabric (notably Luon and Nulu). When it comes to the other Luxtreme fabric leggings, I use them interchangeably for all activities, but I think certain activities--such as running & jumping--benefit from having pockets or drawstring waistbands to prevent sliding. Hope that helps!

@server21 Haha yes, we get that a lot!! If you ever go in-store, you'll probably notice Educators asking questions like "what brings you in?" or "what activity are you shopping for?" We don't make commission, so those questions are genuinely to help guests narrow down which leggings to shop for! Try never to respond with, "just browsing," even if you don't plan on buying anything :)

@silkybunny Why never respond with 'just browsing'? I mean, I used to work in a similar specialty retail store and when people said that to me, I took it as a cue to leave them alone but still be available if they have questions. Why do you not like that answer?

@justtrying25 People respond with “just browsing” all the time and we leave them alone. I think we just preferred to start a conversation because about half the time, the “just browsing” people did actually buy something. The problem with that is unless they were already well-versed in lulu’s fabric, they were essentially buying a random pair of leggings as opposed to one suited for their intended use.
I think half the “just browsing” people were doing just that and didn’t want to talk. The other half just seemed to be trying to avoid pressure from a sales associate—which isn’t the Educators’ main purpose. Hope that clarifies!

Back