Dealing with tofu/tempeh/soy milk prices

aptiv245

I live in the northeast US and I’ve seen the price of soy based products increase drastically in less than a year. At the local grocer, I was able to get a block of tofu for $0.99 while Lightlife tempeh was $3 per stick. Tofu has gone up to $2.29 and tempeh is at least $5 now. I’m also not able to consistently buy unflavored soy milk but instead have to choose between sweetened “vanilla” and “very vanilla”.

I’m curious to know if anyone else is dealing with a rise in the price/scarcity of soy based products and how people are dealing with it, whether they started making their own or found a suitable substitute. It’s hard to retain the soy boy status without soy!

@aptiv245 Yes, I have absolutely noticed this. If you have Wegmans or Trader Joe’s in your area, that is the cheapest tofu (~1.99) & tempeh (~2.29) I have been able to find. As far as milk, I usually buy almond not soy and I haven’t had trouble finding the plain unsweetened, but I have noticed the prices increasing.

@stevesmith856 Yeah, TJ's has the only reasonable priced tempeh i see.

If there is some kind of Asian supermarket in your area, they will likely have better tofu prices as well

@aptiv245 Costco has 4 blocks of Nasoya organic tofu for $6.49 which works out to 1.80/block.

Costco also has Kirkland brand soy milk (shelf-stable) and Silk (refrigerated section).

@aptiv245 Market Basket, if you're in this part of the northeast, usually has tofu for roughly $1/block. I think it's something like $1.29? Otherwise prices are as you've described. It's still significantly cheaper than meat products which is nice.

Do you eat any seitan? I found that buying a bulk bag of vital wheat gluten along with the other odds and ends has been extremely cost effective.

@aptiv245 I’m in NY about an hour outside the city for reference. Tofu used to be $2.99 near me (specifically the water drained Nasoya extra firm tofu) and it’s now $3.99. I still have a lot of options for soy products in my area.

As someone else mentioned, I highly recommend going to an Asian market if you have one locally. They have a ton of options and my local market even sells it in bulk packs.

@aptiv245 I don't live in the US (Finland instead) but I have a very similar problem with finding affordable tofu and tempeh. Right now tempeh is way too expensive and hard to find, tofu is still okay (small block is about 1,6 euro) but only one store sells this okayish priced tofu and I'm scared the prices will soon jump up again.

The only way I have tried to even that is just try to add more lentils mixed with the tofu. I tried to research about making your own tempeh or tofu, but ordering all the stuff for those would end up around the same price as just buying them directly from the store.

@aptiv245 I am not seeing it in Las Vegas, tofu is like $1.99 and Soy Milk is usually $2.50 per half gallon at my Smiths grocery here.

I'm a Realtor here if you want to move down, I can help you find a place to BUY or rent!

Back