Demonizing an entire macro nutrient is probably the dumbest shit I’ve ever heard. Don’t fall for the fads trying to demonize carbs

lepomis

Thankfully keto is falling out of fashion, but there still are quacks circulating the internet who believe carbs will inherently negatively impact your health regardless of any other factors. These people probably have never taken a biology or biochemistry course and don’t understand the metabolic mechanisms we have in place to utilize ALL macronutrients that we eat

What’s also hilarious is when these people use examples of “bad” foods that are carb heavy, they actually cite foods that are loaded with…FATS. It’s pretty comical watch them stumble over their argument when they don’t even understand the fundamentals

Do not fall for this social media bullshit, all macronutrients play a crucial role in building muscle and being active

@lepomis Generally bodybuilders don’t fall for diet fads. This sentiment needs to be articulated in the more normie fitness/diet subreddits

@doks Bodybuilders tend to initially have their own specific fad diets, like eating only rice and chicken, avoiding sugar religiously, and other variations of bro diets.

@sbmor777 I mean I eat mostly chicken and rice but because it’s cheap as fuck and easy to meal prep. Nothing magical about them obviously.

@doks Easy to dress it up too. Add some soy sauce, garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt....mmmm. Or use some curry powder. Or Jamaican jerk.

Throw in some garlic or chicken Better than Bullion paste, or the vegetable one is good too, into the water you're cooking your rice in. You can season the water and the chicken independently too or just toss it all together.

@doks Same tbh, but I also add quite a bit of vegetables and spices. This somehow makes it into a "non-bodybuilding" meals for some (a diminishing group thankfully).

@saved1994 Obviously carbs don't make you fat. Keto does really streamline the process and make it a lot easier to lose weight, proportionate to your body fat. I don't demonize keto, it's a wonderful tool to get out of the extremely dangerous fat levels many people are at. It's just not great long term if you don't develop good habits and transition to CICO for maintenance (or just stay on it forever). I don't understand saying bodybuilders use keto though, that's crazy talk. I think most of us have trouble working out if we forget carbs for part of a day, let alone long term.

@saved1994 Keto and fasting are both excellent tools for reversing the major cause of modern obesity: insulin resistance.

Once that’s accomplished you don’t really need to continue either, unless you eat like absolute dogshit again and end up insulin resistant.

@dawn16
Keto and fasting are both excellent tools for reversing the major cause of modern obesity: insulin resistance.

The major cause of modern obesity is the abundance of hyperprocessed and hyperpalatable foods. Insulin resistance tends to be seen in people who are obese; it's not the insulin resistance that is making them obese.

@dawn16 Calorie restriction in general is great for reducing insulin resistance. Whey protein spikes insulin more than pure glucose so the idea that carbs are the only issue for insulin doesn’t hold much water.

Whatever diet gets you in a calorie deficit most comfortably is going to be the most effective. And that depends entirely on the individual