Disappointed: weight loss didn’t equal bf% loss

whitab

I had a dexa scan in July that said I was 131 lbs and 37% bf. Ouch. So since then I have lost 14 lbs. I recently bought a Garmin Index smart scale. It says I’m 115-117 and 35-36% bf. I was so disappointed bc I figured losing over ten pounds would make at least a small dent in bf%.

I’m not doing lifting right now, as I am training for cycling with a coach and the need is for speed. I’m thinking at least for now I may have to put my performance goals before my aesthetic goals. I can’t lift heavy 5x a week without compromising the work I’m doing on the bike.

I’m planning to work in some body weight fitness next year.

Just wondering if anyone else had the same experience of weight loss not making a dent in body comp.

For the record, my coach isn’t concerned. He said everyone is different and the point is to get faster so I can do the events I want to do and have more fun on the bike. I just thought I’d be slimmer by a little by now.

I’m 4’11” and my ultimate weight goal is 105ish. I’d rather be denser but I’m not sure I have the body type for it, and as I said I have a very specific training program now that precludes frequent heavy lifting.

ETA I am definitely smaller - a size 2-4 down from a size 8 — and I am fitter and stronger. Just not harder.

@whitab The index scale and the dexa scan are apples to oranges comparison. You would need to do another dexa scan to get a clear idea of the change in body composition. You must be "slimmer" if you've lost 15 pounds.

@perfpearl My thought was to "reset" and just start using the Index instead of continuing to get dexa scans. So if I just keep going and see a differential, that would be good too. But I take your point, and the point of others here, thank you.

@whitab Typically a dexa scan will reveal a higher body fat percentage than scales.

I can imagine that if you were to get another dexa scan, you will find you've probably reduced your body fat percentage.

I've heard of discrepancies up to 10% difference. The only real way to know is to measure yourself the same way (Dexa) in this case.

Hope this helps.

@whitab I’ve said this a million times before but none of these scans are accurate. All they serve is to make you discouraged and want to quit.

Weigh and MEASURE your body with a tape measure. Those will be your most import data points. If measurements go down, fat is being lost.

@whitab Scales can't measure body fat. The ones that claim to measure body fat are total crap. They're not accurate at all, not even for measuring trends. If you drink a lot of water, the scale will interpret that as increased body fat.

@whitab Why not ditch both ways of measuring for now if it's doing a mindfuck on you? Go with how your clothes fit. You are probably much much leaner. If you are not able to grab some flab no I bet it's being burned off. Are you taking before and after pictures?

@anonymitycodeboanerges I have a lot of flab unfortunately. I have been too embarrassed to take before pictures, but I have some of me in my kit and I plan to take another in the same kit in another 7 or so pounds.

@whitab I have to say the the BF% is just another number. Right now you are training for a specific sport. Do that, and focus on your performance. If you are a person who needs metrics (I am LOL) then create specific metrics for your sport, and aim to meet those. The body composition will come with increased performance. That said, your coach cannot be telling you not to weight train? You should be doing work to increase your strength so you can sprint faster. I can think of a lot of dynamic weighted exercises that focus on dynamic movements, weight training goes hand in hand with speed work.

@dragonite No, he is not telling me not to weight train. He is telling me that in the particular block we are currently in, he doesn't want me to do weight work that will take away from my ability to perform increasingly difficult intervals. I am doing calisthenics now, but limited. Weight work comes soon. I bought a pullup bar and I have a good collection of hand weights. I'm ready!

@whitab Get a $4 body fat caliper tool and record the measurements on your phone. My waist is small but my body fat % is high and i can tell by my neck and arm measurements

@whitab I downloaded Reddit just to show my support after finding ur post when google the same issue. Got my dexa yesterday, 33%. I am 164cm, 50.7kg, on average 250kcal exercise per day, 1350 kcal food intake per day. And this 33% number is no different from when I eat like a cow, with zero exercise, and weighed 55kg. So no, I don’t think exercise will change ur body fat percentage by default, and now I believe it’s more of the gene. I am not going to switch to hours of boring weight lifting just to have Instagram photos. I know I am fit, I don’t need any machine to tell me that I am fit when I can run from one corner to another faster than a man and make a perfect smash.

@cevans07 I hear what you're saying. I was just so bowled over by the 37% number. It seems so, so high. I know I am fit too. My cardiovascular fitness is on the up and up. Just a soft and squishy physique. not gonna lie, my husband loves it. I am just having trouble understanding how it can be.

@whitab It depends on the hydration level of the testing day, your race, gender, bone mass. And end of the day, dexa is designed for giving damn accurate bone material density, not the body fat percentage. So when all these people jump out to warn you how accurate it is, they mean it’s the best of the bad. Only one to find out the real BF is to cut ur body off when you are dead. Here are two photos I have taken this morning, 52.5 kg after eating two evenings to release the mental dress by this Dexa scan, I am Chinese, female, scanned in Singapore, 33%. I am happy with my body, often considered as the best female player in badminton groups. Go to gym twice per week, and 5k run once per week. can definitely eat less delicious oily food AFTER December, otherwise I am good.
front
side

Back