Does anyone else feel a “duty” to be fit to disprove “soyboy” myths?

@kirkhaggerty I’ve actually not come across this too much, and if people do ask those types of questions it’s out of interest/not knowing much about it… I also wouldn’t go straight in and talk about me being vegan, only comes up because they’re confused as to why I’ve ordered a non meat meal at a restaurant… I work in financial services, and deal with a lot of macho American stereotypes, and when they find out I’m vegan they’re surprisingly accepting/alright with it. I’m pretty well built and wouldn’t say I’m a stereotypical ‘vegan’ so maybe that comes into play as they don’t question it lol

@kirkhaggerty Having said this, I’ve been away with work this week and had a lot of comments from people about their own food, how I mustn’t like them eating meat in front of them… so certainly gets people thinking about what they’re consuming!

@kirkhaggerty U.S. Army soldier here, working hard towards maxing out our physical fitness test and become one of the handful people in the entire Army. Want to show everyone that you can be vegan and still perform in a very high level.

@dawn16 I was scouring the comments to see if there was another Soldier here. I am currently in the top 3 runners in my unit (NG), acing the Sprint, Drag, Carry and the run. Now I just gotta get that Deadlift. The added punch is that I’m in my forties, outpacing the new recruits. Being the only vegan around, I bring my own food everywhere we go, and try to set a strong example. It’s not that I care what the others think, but it is my own activism. Lead by example.

@kirkhaggerty I will be honest, it is pretty challenging, options are unfortunately very limited. I pretty much eat similar things everyday. But I feel good and very motivated. I am never eating another living creature ever again. 🌱

@kirkhaggerty Idk if anyone else has mentioned this, but beer has more phytoestrogen than soy, so until they cut beer out of their diet, I’m not really taking their advice. 🤷🏻‍♂️ but I guess being sure about your “masculinity” is also a necessity.

Back