Does anyone else feel a “duty” to be fit to disprove “soyboy” myths?

@christjudgeofall Yeah bud, the way I see it, the whole “soy boy” thing is just conservative talking points against veganism, climate change, etc. Not to mention the term “Snowflake” came from the movie “fight club”, which was a critique on toxic masculinity, and societal norms. So ironic they took a huge favoring to it. lol

@kirkhaggerty Kind of, yeah. When I started out, I got a lot of perplexed disbelief and skepticism. I remember trying to politely turn down a very insistent woman’s chili /BBQ in a work environment, mentioning I’ve been vegan for a month now, and that was THE thing I was known for the rest of my time there. Now that I’ve finally started exercising/ getting fit at home, I’m in an environment where no one notices or cares. I can’t win!

@kirkhaggerty Nope. I don’t go proclaiming I’m vegan to the world so most people wouldn’t know and wouldn’t care. If you want to prove people wrong and find that motivating then good for you. Be careful not to let the opinions of others weigh you down. They’re probably not at home thinking about where you’re getting your protein from.

@germanguy Yea I definitely understand that. From my perspective though I think talking about it is important because if you can convince one person to go Vegan you have doubled your impact to the animal ag industry. Being fit is a way to shut down the naysayers

@kirkhaggerty I've never wanted to disprove "soyboy", diversity in itself to me shows that it is as normal as anything else.
HOWEVER, a friend started an excercise routine and I somewhat jokingly said "haha, I probably should do it too".
They told me that I couldn't, since this routine would break me because of lack of nutrients and stuff. Since then I just wanted to prove them so wrong x)

@kirkhaggerty Disclaimer— I’m a woman so nobody says anything about my testosterone though I do joke about my boobs being big thanks to tofu— but also am a triathlete and yogi and I can leg press >700 lbs. My lower body is strong AF and I can squat easily with a 280 lbs man on my back. I’ve been a strict vegan since 2015. When people try to say anything about where I get my protein I just flex my calves and tell them I’ll be okay.

So, to sum up, no, I feel no duty to prove anything to anyone. I just want to live a life that is in alignment with my morals and values and veganism is one of the ways I adhere to that.

@kirkhaggerty I used to, but after a while I realised I was doing it for the expectations of others and it was making me salty. Now I keep fit for myself and my body and my animal buddies.

@kirkhaggerty Thankfully I’m currently surrounded by accepting people who don’t make those jokes, haven’t heard any of those in a few years now. However yes, I do feel a need to conquer the “soyboy myths” as you said. I’ve always been skinny, even before I went vegan. I went through some really deep shit 2 years ago and on top of already being skinny I lost a ton more weight because it was such a traumatic event for me, so at that point I was severely underweight. Being severely underweight and vegan wasn’t a good look. (Imagine a 19yo male, 5”4, and 95lbs. That was me). Thankfully I had a doctor who was supportive of my vegan lifestyle and never asked me to eat meat or anything. He suggested I start working out and increasing protein intake and calories. I started my life over (with new friends and a new town) and it benefitted my physical and mental health so much. I’ve been going to the gym consistently for 3 months now and I’ve gained 20lbs. I look so much better. I stayed vegan throughout all of this. I think that in itself makes a strong statement, I didn’t have to eat animal products to get myself back on my toes.

@kirkhaggerty Not really, but it’s funny when other powerlifters find out I am vegan and have been for a decent amount of time. They’re always so shocked lol

@kirkhaggerty Some bro got in my face physically (not on the Internet lol) and demanded, repeatedly, to know why I do not eat meat.

All I did to set this guy off was to order a veggie taco when I was ahead of him in line. It put him into paroxysms of antivegan obsesso.

So such nutbars do exist.

As to Fear of Soy the answer is education which can be had at New Research Disputes the Biggest Soy Myths among probably many other sources. This piece from US Soy also may be helpful.

@kirkhaggerty Ive worked with these guys and ate my food around them for six months before they realized that i was eating tofu one day. They instantly told me I should worry about my testosterone levels dropping. I've been working out and eating like this for 2 years I'm 6'3" 235lbs male very muscular and built like a tight end. These same men that are smoking cigarettes on their lunch break while drinking nacho cheese as a beverage are telling me to worry about my testosterone.

@kirkhaggerty It’s fucking great isn’t it? Get jacked as shit and when people find out your vegan they somehow think you’re small lol. I’m totally onboard with you though. I feel like I can convince more people to go vegan by looking physically fit rather than by telling them they’re killing animals. A vegan diet is amazing for those who want to push their bodies to the limit. I feel unstoppable at times.

Back