Frustrated after 6 months lifting weights

@cthelight7 I actually used it before competing and if I weren’t competing now, I’d still be using it. I meant that as more of an example as far as building muscle and aesthetics goes. It is a great program for beginners as it takes all of the guesswork out of it.

@cthelight7 There's progress even if you can't see it as much as you expected. It takes time and some pretty extreme effort depending on what you're going for.

When I first started lifting seven years ago I didn't change my diet at all and I focused on building muscle. This is just me and I'm not trying to discourage you as everyone is different, but it took two years for me to really notice true changes in appearance and actual strength. Then I started really watching what I ate and it took another year and a few months to get where I could really see all the muscles that I'd been working on - even then it didn't seem like as much progress compared to the effort I put in. But I felt SO MUCH better and stronger and I could eat more and maintain my weight with less effort. I'm still not fully satisfied with appearance but every painful step has been worth it.

Be patient with your body. Slow and steady wins the race.

@dawn16 That's really awesome to hear, major props to you! I'm so glad it worked out for you in the end! I definitely agree with you about slow and steady. For me it is a big deal that I even stuck to a workout plan for 6 whole months, so that in itself is an achievement. I also think it's a lot more sustainable that way, instead of going crazy in the beginning and then losing motivation/interest. One step at a time. Looks like the next step is to have a look at my diet and program!

@cthelight7 Have you actually taken before and after photos (same poses, lighting, outfit)? Sometimes the changes are pretty subtle day-to-day but much more obvious with a direct comparison

@gagagamer101 I have but I can't really see a huge difference :(. I guess it can be hard to see on yourself though. I do see more bicep definition and maybe a slightly rounder butt but that's kind of it 😂

@cthelight7 As others have noted - how the program is structured is going to have a big impact on this as well as your diet. If you aren't getting sufficient total calories and specifically protein that could be a place to look. If the program is building slowly then you will gain strength slowly.

@klove2010 I'm totally clueless about programmes and specifically whether the one laid out by my gym is good or not. To me it seems like we aren't hitting the big lifts often enough though. Maybe I should take a look at some of the beginner programmes in the FAQ.

As for the diet, I could definitely try and be a bit more structured about it and see what happens! Thanks :)

@cthelight7 Well why are you specifically wanting big lifts? what is your actual goal? If you want definition you have to lift heavier weights and eat more. But big lifts don't actually hit all of the muscles so you need more variety.

@gigatt18 Most of the programmes I have seen people suggest on this sub seem to be centred around several main lifts e.g. squat, deadlift, bench. They also seem to hit most or all of those every single week so I guess I just assumed that was the most common way to do things. I realise of course that you will also do accessories and other things to complement those.

@cthelight7 Fellow petite woman. As others have noted, diet is a huge part of building the muscle, along with the pace of increasing weight.

On a separate note, it sounds like you might be neglecting more targeted exercises that could lead to better definition. You could supplement your compound movements with a rotation of others: hamstrung curls, leg extensions, pull downs, etc.

Additionally, the larger the muscle, the longer it’ll take to see a noticeable change (as demonstrated by your biceps). It definitely took much longer for me to see an effect in my legs vs my arms/core but as long as you keep up with the consistency and maintain a reasonable diet with preferably more protein, you’ll see results. If you want it faster, then increasing the weight progression would probably be the next thing to look at.

@cthelight7 I used to not see results, but following a proper routine and getting enough protein, I am began to see results. Check out Athlean-X on YouTube. Anywhere from 0.7–1 g of protein per lb (not kg) of body weight per day. Also, my personal advice, ensure you’re getting enough rest days per week (e.g. arms, chest, legs, each once a week; can combine groups like arms and shoulders in one workout if you have more time and want to get more done in one workout).

You will also need to ensure you’re getting enough fats and carbs and are following proper form.

@cthelight7 Have you tried adding weight faster and failed, or are you just following a slow program? Are you adding weight every workout, or what? I would have expected you to progress faster. This comes out roughly to adding 1lb every week or 1/2lb for bench, but it's common for beginner programs to progress faster than that. Eg Strong Lifts 5x5 has you add 5lb to every lift (10 to deadlift) every time you do it. I'd be surprised if you kept that up for six months straight (which would be +390lb on squat!!), but still.

@ike23 I try to add weight on each time but a lot of the time it's a struggle and I start to fail lifts. So I have resorted to adding weight when I can basically. There isn't any structure to the programme in that sense, basically just add what you can when you can.

I also thought I would have more "newbie gains" so I'm quite disappointed. Do you think there is still a chance for me to have those newbie gains if I do something differently?

I have been wondering if it's the programme that's the problem - we don't always hit all three of the big lifts each week. Sometimes there might not even be any back squats that week...

@cthelight7 Newbie gains are from learning to use existing muscle. You mentioned losing lots of muscle from extreme dieting in another comment, so that's probably why you didn't get many newbie gains. 1400 calories isn't even two oatmeal breakfasts for me so that's not a lot of fuel for muscle building either.

Best way to grow muscle is more food and more effort. Last one applies even if you already work out hard.

Can't say about the program as it's possible to grow muscle without hitting lifts regularly. Ie hitting the muscle groups and movement patterns may limit lifts in the present but not muscle growth, and the lifts will go up with a bit of focus. I've had success hitting a lift every 2 weeks. But I've seen absolute garbage programs from gyms/boot camps/etc that are only made for people to sweat and feel sore.

@cthelight7 Yeah, this sounds to me like you need less variation and more repetition! If there's no structure to the program, you're kind of not following a program, yeah? I would choose something from the wiki and see if you see better progress that way. The newbie gains are still out there -- it's a question of building strength, not of how long you've been working out.

@ike23 Yeah you're right, it's a bit all over the place! On the plus side, following one of the wiki programmes works out cheaper as I won't be paying for classes 😂. I really appreciate your help, thanks!

@cthelight7 I might guess that you are not really eating at maintenance, maybe try to slowly up your intake until you gain some weight (constantly over 2-4 weeks minimum ) and then cut back slightly again you might be surprised how much your body can actually need

@jmax I have a history of undereating - a few years ago I was eating around 1000kcals a day. I now eat around 1400 I think but have heard that reverse dieting (i.e. what you are suggesting) can help with people who have damaged their metabolism. Maybe I should try it, thanks for the advice :)

Back