Frustrated over being very fat.

@ms7dc There’s alot of different metrics we need to take a look at to get a better idea of where you’re at so hit me a dm and we can see whatsup

@ms7dc So a couple things I've learned from competing in strength sports and losing 40+ lbs (stopped weighing myself after a certain point, but know I kept ballooning up) and keeping it off for 4 years.

Consistency matters more than intensity, programming, etc. Especially when starting out. Find a system you like and just stick with it for a while. Personally I like 531, but I know people who have ridden the 5x5 train to some impressive numbers. (while you can't LP your way there, step loading works fantastic with that)

Second, focus on changing habits. If you eat more veggies and lean proteins every meal, you are going to feel fuller on less calories. Which is a great way to lose weight while not having to worry about counting calories, weighing food, tracking macros, etc.

Lastly, log your workouts. If its been six months weight lifting and your numbers haven't increased, its time to switch things up. I've had success on a ton of stuff from Pavel's Power to the People, 531, Tactical Barbell, Purposeful Primitive, etc. find a system that you enjoy and work at it for a while. Learn the ins and outs and how to progress and troubleshoot issues.

There will always be people talking about how whatever you are doing is "sub optimal". If you are making progress, ignore them. Jumping trends is the fastest way to spin your wheels in perpetuity. Reg Park got jacked from 5x5. Doug Young was a beast doing "junk volume".

Some resources that I've found helpful:

Lean And Strong by Josh Hillis. Probably the best fast loss book I've ever read.

Dan John's Easy Strength Omnibook: Fantastic resource on long term training.

Pavel's Power to the People: For a book about two exercises, sure has a ton of stuff widely applicable to getting stronger in general.

Tactical Barbell II: Conditioning, This is the book that made "cardio" click for me.

@ms7dc Most books just pretty much leave cardio as a "yeah just do it". TB walks through how to program it, how to progress different attributes of cardio, and how to fit it in with a strength program.

@ms7dc Eh, kinda, but not that well. You get benefits from doing unloaded training as it allows you to get better blood flow to muscles. You kinda get it if you do an exercise that does a tension relax cycle (eg kettlebell swings) but if you haven't done basic LISS work ever, you have some low hanging fruit to take advantage of. (LISS is basically doing steady state cardio at a pace you can nasal breath at/ talk in short sentences. Think jogging, rucking, cycling, etc.)

@ms7dc Try eating one meal a day in the evening. Fast during the day and use caffeine to suppress your appetite, then put all our effort into preparing a really good evening meal. Isn't part of the problem all the effort that goes into planning meals? Focusing on one at the end of the day will save you effort and give you time during the day to plan and prepare. This intermittent fasting approach will feel uncomfortable the first week but has been shown to reduce weight.

Also try making smoothies, not the ones with a lot of sugar but the meal-replacement type: almond milk, protein powder, spinach, carrots, banana, xylitol (or other non-caloric sweetener), rolled oats, and ice.

A good diet is mostly about planning. Good luck!

@ms7dc "Diet sucks. Need to change that." Brother you are running on one of those cat treadmills and there's food thrown into your gullet everytime it spins. You will run on that thing forever and stay the same size, unless you count your calories and remain in a deficit.

@ms7dc If you have the disposable income find a coach.

At your stage I would choose one that will work with you in person at least once a week, provide you with a diet plan (not just macros), workout program, and weekly check-in online.

You're a fat ass so you don't need the very best coach who trains aspiring competitors, just someone competent from your local commercial gym will do. Use Instagram or word of mouth to do your research.

@ms7dc The journey is more memorable than the destination. Your journey begins today! Have fun. With each passing day you are your own motivation and inspiration! All the best! See you in few months with a transformation story that’s going to inspire the rest of us to keep moving forward

@ms7dc What are you really asking?

Weight loss is maths.

You spend 3000 calories, you eat 3100, you gain weight... you spend 3000, you eat 2000 per day every day, you lose about 2lb per week.

Despite the copious amount of bullshit you can find to the contrary on the internet, particularly from the "body positive" crowd, that is hard fact.

Start doing the math.

@ms7dc It could be that you’re building muscle and changing the foundational building blocks of your body.

Alcohol and sweets should be tossed. Have a habit of eating in cream every night? Drinking Coke? Chuck it!

If you are doing everything right for over a year and nothing changes, you could look into medication assisted treatment. Contrave or semaglutide can help rewire brains hunger signals. Hormones are a complicated feedback loop. So if your body gets used to not being hungry and spurting out insulin in big boluses due to meds, you get a chance to down/ up regulate your own naturally produced hormones.

After 12ish months of med assistance, you can get off the med and stick with your new routine.

At least this is the theory. I’ve not really seen the full course play out yet since everyone I work with is still working towards goal weight. I’ll be super excited to see my patients try getting off the semaglutide and see if she can maintain.

Back