Frustrated after 6 months lifting weights

@cthelight7 1400 is definitely a bit low for maintenance while lifting weights. You should try upping it a bit, you will probably see better results! At the same time, from your other comments it seems you should adjust your program a bit too. Other commenters have given some good suggestions there.

@carallrae Even for someone of my height? I'm 5'2". To be honest I've always struggled to know how much to eat and I guess I am also a little scared to gain fat. Maybe increasing the amount gradually and dialing it back if it's too much is the way to go. Thanks!

@cthelight7 According to a standard TDEE calculator, your BMR is 1266, your sedentary TDEE is 1519, light exercise is 1741. These numbers vary as well based on body fat %. For now I would say to try upping from 1400 to 1600 to start. Basically an extra protein shake of calories or protein bar and see if your lifting improves!

@carallrae Cool! That seems like sound advice. The tdee calculators always gave me very different numbers depending on which one I used so I was always unsure. I've definitely debated doing a "reverse diet" before though so I could definitely try this.

@cthelight7 Hey there, just wanted to chime in with bit of personal experience regarding eating/lifting. I'm currently your height but lower weight.

Prior to my starting lifting, I would typically eat anything from 1200-1600 calories and that was enough for me doing nothing but walking 20-30 mins a day (to get to class). I maintained my weight eating like that for years - not purposely, that's just how much my body seemed fine with and I never really felt hungry. (I tracked this eating a month prior to starting lifting, to get a baseline.)

When I started out lifting (about 2 years ago), I put my activity goals into a couple calculators and they told me I needed to eat 1900-2100 calories a day. I was astonished! But gradually, I added more food during meals, ate larger portions or had more snacks - and lifting actually made me really hungry, which helped with increasing my calorie intake. And I felt the difference at the gym too, when I worked out after eating more the day before vs eating less. I then purposely chose to eat at the higher end of the suggested range as my goal, because I wanted to gain weight (I had been underweight, knew that gaining would increase my baseline strength capacity, and help me reach my strength goals.)

Now, I'm about 10 lbs more than I weighed then, lifting 3x a week. To maintain my weight at this activity level, my caloric intake should be about 2000 calories. My eating habits haven't been as consistent as they were a couple months ago, and I've seen my performance in the gym suffer some as a result. Food is fuel, and my body knows what it needs. I felt so much stronger and more consistent in the gym, when I was eating more a couple months ago. (And I've been at my current weight for a year.)

While our bodies are not exactly the same, I want this to be an example that eating more can be good and healthy for your body. Despite the messages that we get from society, others, and our own insecurities and fears. More food can help you reach your goals to gain strength and develop defined physique.

@olagato This is a wonderful reply.

To add on my own anecdote to further support this one, I am a little smaller at 5'1 and also a lower weight. I used to also eat between 1200-1600 calories when either sedentary or doing short walks each day. I maintained the same weight and was running a few times a week, but I wasn't increasing my speed or distance. I was getting really frustrated with my lack of progress but I simply was unable to do anything about it.

I now eat about 2000 calories a day since starting weights, and I feel incredible. I've put on a few kilos but the changes to my physique and body are already appearing and visually make me feel so much better about myself. Not only am I satisfied with my progress in the gym, I'm smashing my PR running records and have energy I've never had before. My mental health has also drastically improved, likely in equal parts due to me now being a healthy weight for the first time in my life and also the regular, fulfilling exercise.

I was always scared to gain weight but now I respond to my body's hunger cues (I'm always particularly hungry on rest days!) and make sure that I provide adequate nutrition each day to meet what I need to keep going!

@olagato I'm so glad to hear about your success! I think us ladies especially are conditioned to think that we should eat as little as possible and eating more is 'bad'. I would love to be able to get my calories up to 2000 one day. Seeing food as fuel is definitely a great mindset, I hope I can be in your position some day! Thanks for chiming in :)

@cthelight7 Definitely make sure you're getting enough protein! I used to assume I was because I thought that nuts and stuff had a lot but after tracking I realized I wasn't even close.

@wintermint IMO pretty much no “whole food” vegetarian or vegan foods provide enough protein. You have to buy packaged food that has specifically added extra protein, like high protein pasta, Trader Joe’s extra protein tofu, protein powder, protein vegan milk, etc.

@wintermint I totally relate to this, the first time I tracked my macros in the beginning I was eating like 40g of protein maybe even less 😂 I couldn't believe how much I needed to eat to get it up to 1g per lb! Definitely something I should check in with again!

@wintermint Seriously—I used to think my fried egg on toast was a “high protein” breakfast, was pretty shocked to see it was only 10g. Tracking my protein and upping my intake has definitely made working out better, both in terms of progress and recovery!

Back