Frustrated and not seeing progress

mirofox

38/F/5’1”/173lbs

I’ve been diligently doing boot camp workouts 4-6x per week for the last 3 years. I was about 178 when I started, and though I’ve gained quite a bit of muscle, I don’t see it. Up until last week, I was eating 17-1800 calories per day, getting 120g of protein minimum, 100 oz of water, and 8-12k steps a day. I focus on strength training vs cardio overall, but I will take a cardio camp 1-2x a week.

I just had bloodwork done, thyroid checked, etc and everything is normal.

I have had one child (6 yrs ago), and i am terrified this is just how i look now..

Truthfully, even if my weight didn’t change, but I toned up, I would be so happy. I just want to look like I’ve been working as hard as I have.

@mirofox Just plugging your deets into the TDEE calculator (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) - looks like your not in a deficit so weight loss would be limited to the amount of exercise your doing - which will be tough as it doesn't burn as much as the fitness industry likes to portray. If you wanted to drop a 1lb a week then you want to be looking at 1163 kcal, your maintenance is around 1600 (https://tdeecalculator.net/result.php?s=imperial&g=female&age=38&lbs=173&in=61&act=1.2&f=2). Obviously adjust as you need depending on your energy levels. I've used Sedentary as the activity level as that's just my go-to, but of course if your fairly active job or really feeling it from the workout then up it slightly or change the level in the calculator.

@mirofox I am a woman, so I understand you. Until I was 35 I felt like you feel today. Then I began to internalize more in my diet, because I was already going to the gym to do weights. Today, 10 years later, it could be that with weights and a good diet, you will be fantastic. Cardio always halo after weights. It is my humble opinion as a woman who felt identified with your story

@mirofox I go to a powerlifting gym. There are lots of women there who are very strong and have very nice physiques, but they are not shredded. They look great, but they don’t have six-packs and probably weigh a lot more than one would think. Could this be you?

@dawn16 While I wish it was, it’s definitely not. 😂 I’m definitely strong, but there is still quite a bit of fat on my body. I don’t want a six pack, but I do want the muscles in my legs/arms/back to be more obvious. These women are what I’m aiming for!

@mirofox It might sound counterintuitive but you may need to eat more. 1700-1800 calories/day sounds low for the amount of working out you do, plus daily walking of 8-12k steps.

And does your strength routine include compound lifts and progressive overload?

@dawn16 Yes, it does include compound lifts, and we do work to failure. We have camps that are more for reps and thus slightly lighter weights, and others that are pure strength where I go as heavy as possible.

@mirofox In what way would you like to see progress? A slimmer more toned look? If that's the case it sounds like it's time for a cut. You know you maintain your weight at your current caloric intake so if you reduce by 500 calories/day you can expect to lose about a pound per week. Try to keep your protein intake up around 150grams/day so that you retain the muscle you've been building over the last few years. If your lifts/performance have been going up and you've been consistent you've been developing muscle. You might just not be able to clearly see it at your current weight. Cut for 2 to 4 months and see how you feel and look.

@gerty Yes- that is EXACTLY what I want!

I’m trying a cut this month and still prioritizing protein, hopefully that will jump start the process. Thank you so much.

@mirofox It's not really a jump start per se. It's just working towards a goal. Your current body and current activity maintains its weight at your current caloric intake. Nothing good or bad about it, just knowledge for you. If you cut for a month and go back to old eating habits you'll be consuming at a rate to support a 173lb/body and will begin to shift back to that. If you want to get stronger you may want to get into cut and bulk cycles. If you cut at a >= 500 cal/day reduction for 4 months and then bulk at a 200cal surplus per day for 2 months while focusing on strength training and repeat that process once I promise you that you will look noticeably different this time next year. Following that schedule would make you about 30lbs lighter overall along with two substantial muscle building cycles. At 140 with an increase in your lean muscle mass you would see a major change. And I do think your work over the last three years has done a lot for your "gains". I'm sure you've gained muscle, gained strength, gained athletic performance and are healthier than you were when you started, but if you want to lose weight, reducing intake is the only way. Don't despire though that work is still there and those gains are still real, you just need to change tacks if you want them to be visible.

@mirofox Because those classes aren’t designed for hypertrophy with a focus on getting close to or to true failure and progressive overload

@uzezi I’m nervous to go to a “normal” gym, because the trainers help with form and whatnot. And we use dumbbells instead of machines, which also intimidate me. But it sounds like I may not have a choice.

@petermg49 I definitely try to challenge myself… I use 50s to chest press, 100 for glute bridges, but lately I’ve been adding another 20 or so on.

I think you’re right about the fatigue. Some of those exercises aren’t difficult enough so I should to try add another 5lbs.

@mirofox Girl, you’re kicking butt! (you’re definitely kicking my butt). Sounds like other people’s advice to work on a cut is more relevant for your case.

Back