Genetics aren’t what you think they are

@enostheyounger I did read it and i still maintain my opinion. My brother is like our father- huge like a bear, never touched a bar, never trained anything. I am like our mom- petite frame, great at running/ cycling/ swimming on long distance (endurance in general), but not strong, not bif. I see the same differences in my kids. Hard work will get you only so far, and the other dude who put 30% of your effort can exceed you if he's genetically proned to specific discipline.

What he said:

"But to act like your genes are holding you back from a great physique is insanity."

Agree, but only if you compare yourself with yesterday you. Compare with a dude with good genes and he'll make you look like "bro, do you even lift?".

this comment isn’t necessary.

His post isn't necessary. Everybody knows hard work, strict diet and consistency are a key factors.

@nbj486 Genetics absolutely play a role but agree its an excuse for the ones that don't work hard and just want to complain. Laziness and superior drive and work ethic are genetic as well.

@nbj486 uhm for sure genetics and hormones play an enormous role. However everyone can get a great physique through dedication. It’s just that it might take a lot longer for some people

@nbj486 I agree. Genetics play a role, but often they are treated as a scapegoat and confirmation that your current state is inevitable.

My whole family is severely overweight. I grew up being told that it is genetic and there is nothing to be done.

At 18 years old I was 6’2” and well over 300 pounds (all flab). By the time I was 21 years old, I was down to 175 pounds. I was running several miles everyday, eating pretty clean, and lifting weights regularly.

That was 24 years ago. My family still looks at like I am an anomaly or just lucky. I still hear the same statements for my family, “ I want to lose weight, but my genetics won’t allow it.”

@nbj486 Imo the message of this post does more harm than good. Yes, genetics aren't the sole factor of absolutely anything physiological, but in the context of bodybuilding they're a yardstick for return on investment.

Purely scientifically speaking, if we took 2 individuals with identical training, diet and rest but one was more genetically predisposed to responding well to training the other would be completely justified in "blaming" genetics.

Is this an excuse to complain for the average person? Of course not. But to say that the conversation around genetics is fruitless is quite extreme. A better approach would be to start a conversation around what genetics mean in the context of managing expectations and avoid the comparisons that the "you just have good genetics" crying stems from.

@nbj486 Genetics can beat juice almost always if someone got horrible genetic build they won't become too impressive even on juice. Juice if you already big instead

@nbj486 When people blame genetics I find it's mostly things that can't be overcome for eg. Narrow Clavicles, wide hips, high biceps insertions etc. This is a limit on how aesthetic you can take a physique and why most pro bodybuilders are generally on the shorter side.

I agree with your core message that it's pointless to dwell on this since it's not within our control. But we can't just go to fantasy land and expect to be all capable of the same end goal, that's not how it works. We just do the best we can.

As far as I know there's 0 evidence either way with someone's ability to gain muscle at the gene level, so saying genetics don't matter and to just eat more is just as dishonest as saying they do matter.

@mdnavygirl genetics not only determine how fast youre gonna get big or strong but also how u will look. we can be the same weight height bodyfat and if i have a full chest insertion, low inserted back long biceps and triceps wide arm bones wide clavicles and narrow hips u have the opposite i would always mog you. even if ive trained for 1 year and a half and u have for 4. i might even be stronger than you

@godjerry Agreed. Someone once said, “If you have good genetics, you’d know by now.” Still, everyone should be trying to maximize their genetic potential: from the gym rats who always look like they never lift to the barely-lift people who look like Greek gods.

@nbj486 Submits hot take on very complicated biological/physiological mechanisms saying we’re all wrong in our commonly held beliefs and submits nothing but personal opinions as evidence. Yeah okay bud. 👍

@nbj486 Genetics do have their role but I agree.

Uneducated people, especially family members or significant people in your life, may look at your incredibly hard work as simply genetics too. It’s incredibly infuriating when they pull that card so they can feel better about themselves.

But to stay on point, yes you will look different if you did weights and calisthenics versus just weights and cardio. Just keep learning and dominate weak points in your regimen.

@luiggi33 I'd see that more as flattery personally.

Me on the other hand, one time had a guy come up to me at the gym and say "wow you are a lot stronger than you look". Unfortunately I was running hypertrophy meso for a while so my goal had been to "look strong" for some time :')

Back