How do you pump yourself up to go hard?

@allthingsarebecomenew Ah, yeah that can happen. You could try sipping on protein mixed with water and/or Gatorade mixed with water during your training session. I like to do that because I don’t like food in my stomach when working out and gives me a bit of carbs and protein. Also, re-reading your question….I know it’s not for everyone, but CrossFit it what got me lifting weights. I’m now very comfortable and motivated in the weight room on my own. The other great thing is you show up, you get it done in an hour and someone tells you what to do. :)

@leemills Honestly I love the idea of CrossFit for that reason. They just program the workout for you and you’re with other people to motivate you… it honestly sounds great. I’ve been put off by it due to all the controversy (just fear of being injured since I hear it’s relatively common in CrossFit, likely due to bad instructors) but I’ll think about giving it a try!

@allthingsarebecomenew I mainly do group fitness, and have done so for a number of years, so a lot of my motivation to work hard is that I cannot let other class regulars and instructors who know me catch me slacking.

Especially if I’m working out early in the morning, or after a full day of work, a class environment also super helps in that I don’t have to make any decisions aside from showing up, like I don’t really have to count or time stuff, there’s no chance that the equipment I need is in use and I have to wait or pick a substitute exercise.

Also based on your other comments, if you do end up looking for another lifting program, I’d suggest checking out Stronger by the Day, as it addresses a couple things you mentioned struggling with: your big lifts are programmed at a % of your training max, with specific instructions on how/when to increase your training max based on your workout performance and it includes a list of alternate exercises you can substitute in place of the programmed exercises if you need to.

@allthingsarebecomenew I find the best workouts for me are hiit style. All out. I agree if you can get to a class this would likely be the best- but if not even online, or i do ifit on my treadmill or on the ifit app. Also- if it is more results (and less mental motivation/energy) look to your diet, sleep, patterns… there is a lot more to it, obv.

@allthingsarebecomenew I have a select list of songs that are super nostalgic and go hard (king for a day, comin in hot, knives and pens) I do not play them all the time but when I need some extra motivation, I play that special playlist

@allthingsarebecomenew Well, for me, exercise is my greatest outlet and I legitimately really enjoy it. I work hard because I enjoy the feeling of absolutely destroying my body. It's cathartic. Also, preworkout. Lots of preworkout.

@allthingsarebecomenew As others have said- I just follow a program. If I don’t have a program I end up screwing around but if I have a program (spreadsheet, app, website…) I just follow what it says to do and end up pushing myself

@allthingsarebecomenew If you mean once you’re IN your workout how do you push the limit? I push the limit by focusing on posture, and making myself count to 5 more reps past what I feel like I can do. If i’m lucky, i can do that multiple times. I also stay off my phone so my brain doesn’t have competition for how it’s gonna get it’s happy chemicals. If i go on my phone i get the whole phone addiction dopamine rush and it demotivates me.

@allthingsarebecomenew This is why I like 5/3/1. Obviously it’s not for everybody but the context is I walk in, add a prescribed weight, do the reps, walk out. Start small and pay attention to deload weeks. But if you use one of the free spreadsheets you can find, you don’t need to think. And sometimes it feels like you’re not even trying early on (conservative 1rm assessment which Jim recommends) but you are absolutely still progressing.

Back