I told a guy no on working in

@baptistbiblebeliever That’s fair. It’s one of those arm machines that you can face two different ways so I just wanted to get both done. I was partially caught off guard since I’ve never been asked by a man before.

@johntf Sounds like the rear delt fly machine, pretty simple to alternate between positions. Every time I've agreed to share an equipment with someone they usually change the configuration back to mine and overall have a good experience.

@johntf Here’s a reframe of this scenario from his perspective to help you answer your own question…

He’s got a timeline that’s almost up and one more thing he needs to do to complete his training for the day.

Someone is just sitting on the machine he needs and he knows he could just work in quickly with no impact since his sets take less than a minute each.

He politely asks to work in and is told that even though you have four sets left, you’ve decided to prioritize your training 100% over his and effectively tell him to fuck off.

Ask yourself now, AITA?

@a3yan
Here’s a reframe of this scenario from his perspective...

"Here's a fictional rewrite of what I imagine could have happened. Author's note: The original story didn't have sufficient information to draw any conclusions, so I just made it up. Don't like don't read."

That's what your comment sounds like.

@a3yan Let's reframe the scenario:

You ask someone to work in. They decline. You grow the fuckup and move on, not throw a tantrum.

Jesus Christ. I'm glad the gyms I go too have normal people.

@a3yan His time management is on HIM, not hers to accommodate.

She's not comfortable and doesn't have to share If She doesn't want to.

No is a complete and full sentence.

He has other options, like switching to another station, sorting an alternative exercise or doing the exercise during another session.

@a3yan NTA because she was polite and you don't owe anyone letting them work in. it's a public gym and other people can use it, sometimes it just won't work out that you can complete everything on your list. he was the asshole for getting mad after being politely told no.

@a3yan Hold on, she wasn’t just sitting there she was using it. I’ve had men try to denigrate my training this way. A guy wanted to swap my 20kg for a 15kg because I didn’t need the 20 apparently because I’m a woman ergo my training takes second place to his importance. It’s this kind of nonsense that garners no sympathy from me. My weights were set up on the bar also.

@johntf He’s the asshole. It’s one thing for him to feel frustrated, another for him to get mad and stomp out of the gym like a little kid having a tantrum.

@johntf People are too entitled. If you’re not comfortable sharing you don’t owe an explanation to anyone :) Continue to work out what fits your schedule and do your own thing ❤️

@johntf You’re fine. People can ask to work in as this is gym etiquette but you’re well within your right to politely decline. A lot of people don’t like working in with another — maybe because they’re new, feeling anxious, don’t want to feel rushed, don’t like the sharing of equipment without cleaning in between, don’t want to load plates or like you are doing a workout to a specific way. His anger is a reflection of himself.