I told a guy no on working in

@pete71 I appreciate the response. I’ve been trying to motivate myself into switching to morning workouts and this may be the thing to push me. I’m also partially just debating canceling my membership because so many people at this gym straight up don’t clean the equipment when they’re done. This guy clearly wasn’t.

@johntf Do you go to my gym? Lol. I would also be more open to working in in an environment where people were hygienic.

And yeah, IME in the morning people are much less social at the gym, which is great if you don't want confrontation

@johntf Unfortunately, you can't control the actions of others. You can bring a cloth and wipe down the equipment or a towel to rest over it though. You may find AM time less busy than later on. At my gym, I go in the morning and pretty much never need to work in with people or have people ask me to work in. The weekends it's a mixed bag though, and now that I'm a "regular" I'm much more open to befriending people and working in with one another.

@johntf You may indeed be better off in a smaller environment with less clientele, or an all women gym. Working in sets, along with asking/offering a spot or lift off, is a big normal part of gym culture and yeah everything gets touched and it's gross - bring a towel to put down and use liquid chalk. You're of course within your rights to not share, but I'd be frustrated too if someone had more than 1-2 sets and was unwilling to compromise.