I want bigger legs and I want your advice

fish3rofm3n

Everytime I do bodyweight squats, I sweat a lot, I feel that muscle tension (I go full deep always) but I always have a feeling I'm not gonna get any mass on the legs from that. I've been doing it for a while, I feel that the legs ain't stiff anymore, more mobile, more flexible, buffed, but this ain't gonna get me any mass like 100%. Maybe I am just impatient.

So, is there anyone of you who has built decent legs without gym? I even have some dumbbells for weighted squats. but I don't have a workout routine for them, like I have Armstrong for pullups and

bws 100 push up program for pushups.

Oh yes, and about me. 24m, 80kg, web developer, can do 40 full range pushups (I have to flex this, means a lot) and I have full Jon Jones physique (except skin color, our bodies are the same) , long tiny legs, shorter top.

@fish3rofm3n You might want to try bulgarian split squats, then progress to weighted bulgarian split squats, then pistol squats, then weighted pistol squats. Disclaimer tho, I don't have big legs, but from what I learned, you need to progressively overload your quads if you want them to grow. Also more protein and enough rest!

@rrep Depends on your goal. If you want more power, then maybe yes, box jumps help. But if you want more growth, you need to have exercises where you can control the eccentric part of the movement and progressively overload it. I don't think you can progressively overload with box jumps.

@rrep Box jumps are great for explosive power. If you're training for speed and power for say muay thai, box jumps and sprints are great for fast twitch muscle fibers.

@rrep Plyometrics work a different type of muscle fiber. They are certainly beneficial for gaining mass, done alongside non explosive movements. Plyos alone won’t get you big.

@fish3rofm3n "Big legs" and "mass" are really open for interpretation.

Without a gym, I think the best you can do is go into higher progressions like pistol squat and shrimp squat, but these ones will not be your main hypertrophy sources; the other exercises you can do are bulgarian split squats with dumbbels, jump squats, jumping lunges, cossack squats.

@bobsacamano As long as you reach muscular failure (ideally staying within 5 reps) in ideally 10-30 reps you should be fine to build muscle. The challenge of single leg exercises as I see it is that they often fail due to balance or fatigue in other muscles than the prime movers.

@timb2020 Your maximum number of reps should be between 10 and 30 and you should do close to that number. It's called reps in reserve (RIR) training. For example, if you can do 20 reps and you train with 3 RIR, you'd do 17 reps.

@lmr Science says the most optimal form of training to achieve the most hypertrophy also says that 52 sets per week is ideal for muscle growth, ain't nobody doing that shit.

@fish3rofm3n It’s very difficult to create enough resistance without weights to seriously build leg muscles. They’re big strong muscles already so have no problem moving your body weight around.

Seriously look into a gym. Failing that, you’ll need to rely on one-legged squats (which are difficult and need good balance) so try and load the muscles enough.

@albert632174 I don't totally disagree, but still have some countpoints/tips:

-Balance isnt that much of a limiter if you're doing the exercise frequently. Pistols arent the only option either You can also do things like 1-leg squats/box squats where you keep your off foot barely touching the floor for extra balance. You don't need a box either, furniture works fine.

-10-15 reps of a 1-leg squat with good form and slow eccentric(lowering) should already be a pretty good mass builder, but it's also incredibly easy to load because you can use both your hands to hold onto any kind of heavy object(s). Basically just mimicking a goblet squat or db squat, but with 1 foot either off the floor or barely touching.

Edit:Fixed

@carlosacook I do have the problem that one of my feet is misaligned from my knee by about 45 degrees, so one legged squats on that side are really hard from a balance perspective. I have done pistol squats a bit but always hit a point where my balance slows me down more than my strength

@albert632174 I disagree. Go look at literally any volleyball player. Their quads are large not because they're lifting heavy but because they are constantly in a squat position. (I played volleyball, had large quads.)

Also

Split squats. Bulgarian split squats. Lunges of all variations (so many). Rear foot elevated split squats. Wall sits. Weighted any of those evercises with dumbbells or whatever you can find that is heavy. Pause squats, pulse squats . . .